Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reginald Victor Sessions

Thanks

Default Donald humphrey sessions

Rather late in the day perhaps for this thread, I found this thread info whilst researching Donald Humphrey Sessions as I have his WW1 Death plaque. Towards the end is a quote saying he died testing a plane. I would love to hear where this info comes from and if the relative that was tracked down had any photos of Donald. I would be most grateful for a reply even if it tells me I need to open a new thread. Thanks john1917
    Last edited by JOHN1917; 22nd April 2011 at 19:34. Reason: SPELLING

Thanks

John,

Welcome. I can probably help you but please would you email me explaining your interest as I'll need to seek permission. Excuse my ignorance but what is a 'death plaque'? Just click on my user-name for the address.

Brian

Thanks

Default Death Plaque

Hello Brian, are we off again? Do I need to saddle up?

I'm sure I saw one of these plaques many years ago hanging on a wall of a neighbour whose father, a Lincs Regt infantry man Sydney Potter fell in WWI. I remember it was bronze about 8" diameter and inscribed on one side only with Brittania shepherding a Lion and casualties name in a rectangular box (no rank) I do not know who issued them or if they were a limited issue and what method of selection was used - soldiers, sailors and airmen 'Killed in Action' or 'Missing in Action' or 'Killed on Active Service' or any of the three.

Norman

Thanks

Default Plaque

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    John,

Welcome. I can probably help you but please would you email me explaining your interest as I'll need to seek permission. Excuse my ignorance but what is a 'death plaque'? Just click on my user-name for the address.

Brian
    Death Plaque
    These were issued by the war office after WW1, all the serving personnel who had died were posthumously issued one along with their medals. They have the individuals name cast on the bronze plaque. This one in particular has Donald Humphrey Sessions, because this was the only person of this name to have died it is certainly his[brother of victor]. Others with more common names of course are of little interest as they could be attributed to many recipients.
    I personally have been interested in the Great War for longer than I care to remember, especially R.F.C/R.A.F and have collected many medals and plaques. The beauty of these items is their unique link to the person who sadly didn't survive. As a tribute[for want of a better word] to their memory researching their past is a very rewarding and immensely interesting one.

JOHN1917

Thanks

Default Memorial plaque

Gentlemen,

A comprehensive history and description of WW1 Memorial plaques, plus images, can be found at http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/WW1memorialdeathplaque.htm. It obviously couldn't replace the person killed, but I find it a nice gesture.

I'm not aware of anything so permanent being given to bereaved families during WW2, but I have a copy of a certificate presented to the family of a LAC meteorologist who was killed in 1941. Under the King's coat of arms it reads:

This scroll commemorates
    Leading Aircraftman XXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXX
    held in honour as one who
    served King and Country in
    the world war of 1939-1945
    and gave his life to save
    mankind from tyranny. May
    his sacrifice help to bring
    the peace and freedon for
    which he died.

Brian

Thanks

Brian
    I also have one of those George V1 scrolls for my RAAF father. I don't know how long after the war that they were sent to bereaved families.

Anne

Thanks

Hello, going back rather a while but I was kindly given a copy of Donald Sessions photo, regarding his death plaque. The relative in question I believe was keen to be informed if I was to sell this item. Having purchased more and more in the collecting field of Infantry medals and plaques, I have sold a few items from my collection to make way for others and would like to sell this plaque. If someone who is in contact or knows how to contact the relative, would you be so kind as to let him know. He can have it for the price I paid three years ago plus the postage cost.

Kind Regards John

Thanks

John,

PM sent.

Brian