Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reginald Victor Sessions

Thanks

Default R.V.Sessions, Australia/New Zealand

Brian,
    Sorry but Cousin Ducie has reported back 'no finds' of father and daughter in any Australian State and wonders if they went on to New Zealand ?
    Norman

Errol,
    Have you heard of former RAF WWI pilot Reginald Victor Sessions, born in England 1895 and travelled out to Australia in late 1957 and may have gone on to New Zealand ?
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 4th June 2009 at 21:31. Reason: adding message for Errol

Thanks

Norman,

Please thank Ducie for all her efforts - they are very much appreciated. I understand how frustrating these searches can be, especially when the person seems to have disappeared into thin air.

The man can't just disappear, but I'm giving this one up, the effort is not worth it. Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Brian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    Errol,
    Have you heard of former RAF WWI pilot Reginald Victor Sessions, born in England 1895 and travelled out to Australia in late 1957 and may have gone on to New Zealand ?
    Norman
    Norman/Brian,

Have checked my own air records and NZ Society of Genealogists CD-ROM indexes, but no sign of RVS found.

Errol

Thanks

Default R.V.Sessions

Hello Brian,
    Did you ever find out what became of R.V.Sessions? My Ozzie cousin has just asked me. Thank you.
    Norman

P.S.
    Anyone reading this with knowledge of R.V.Sessions, please write in, thank you.

Thanks

I'm afraid not Norman; after the blanks drawn by all those who kindly helped I decided not to expend anymore effort on the search. However .......

Sessions was the first pilot to be posted to the newly formed RFC Meteorological Flight at Berck on 5 Feb 1918 and was, in fact, to become its longest serving officer by the time he was demobbed in May 1919.

The second pilot was one Lt George Ernest Marden, MC, who arrived on 9 Feb 1918. After demobilisation he spent much of his life in the Far East where he developed considerable interests in shipping and general transport. After being caught up in the Japanese invasion of China he was briefly imprisoned, then repatriated to the UK. Marden was appointed Managing Director of Fairey Aviation in Dec 1941, but relinquished the post in Dec 1942. After the war he returned to the Far East and re-established himself before retiring to Hawkhurst, in Kent. He died in 1966, a rich man.

Within the last 48 hours I've traced Marden's grandson to Manila, where he's the Vice-Chairman of the Lorenzo Shipping Company.

And my interest? I'm hoping to find a logbook that will give me the exact date of the first meteorological ascent of the Met Flight, and possibly some photos.

I've traced the son of the third pilot, Captain C K M Douglas, but he did not join until 12 May. I've some photos and other important documents from that source, but it's the first three months I'm after.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

I missed this thread when originally posted. Is this your chap (sounds more than likely)

http://www.ocsociety.co.uk/jds_book/Chapter%2011%20-%20Mainly%20about%20People.pdf
    (picture)

and another chapter states that he retired in 1957, only to die a few months later in Tasmania

http://www.ocsociety.co.uk/jds_book/Chapter%2013%20-%20Years%20of%20Stability.pdf

Might be worth getting in touch with the school (if it is still going)

A

Thanks

Amrit - How can I thank you? It is indeed my man and the photo is brilliant. I have a WW1 photo of two officers and a group of ORs in front of an AA gun, and I was sure one of the officers was Sessions - your photo confirms my suspicions.

And before anyone asks, the gun was part of Meteor Flight's equipment; it was used to obtain wind speeds at high level when the sky was totally cloud-covered. Basically 6 shells were fired at 30 second intervals, fused for the same altitude, and the Met Flight pilot timed how long it took to fly from the last to first shell burst. The wind speed was obtained by a very simple equation, whilst the wind direction was obtained from the compass heading.

Sessions was in charge of the gun, and during a firing was in wireless contact with the pilot.

Believe it or not, but the same technique was used at times during WW2.

Norman is already on the case in tracing the Tasmania connection.

Many, many thanks everyone.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

glad to help :)

I did a site search and a few people still remember him

site:www.ocsociety.co.uk sessions

He seems to have had the nickname "Shifty" and I would love to know why!

A

Thanks

Brian

Do you mean "site:www.ocsociety.co.uk sessions"?

It's not a link. Enter that into the Google search box and you should get a dozen or so pages directly from the website. About 9 or 10 mention him. Not the space between the .uk and sessions. And remove the speech marks

A

EDIT: Something strange going on here. I just replied to Brian's post:

"So would I Amrit. I'm afraid your link is coming up as an Error. I've fired off a number of emails, including Clayesmore School and the Old Clayesmorian Society.

Brian"

which should have been #19. But now that post has disappeared!!
    Last edited by Amrit; 17th August 2009 at 10:33.

Thanks

My fault Amrit - I deleted it. I second-guessed you and found the link the way you've just described. I'd hoped you hadn't seen my previous post.

Brian