Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reginald Victor Sessions

Thanks

Just for the record, and thanks to Amrit (off-board as well as here), I'm in contact with a very distant relation of Sessions. He's interested in geneaology and is attempting to find some closer relations.

Ross,

I apologise for high-jacking the board for a none WW2 subject, but I hope it demonstrates the extent of the knowledge that forumites have - and the help that is so freely offered.

Brian

Thanks

Default R.V.Sessions in Tasmania

Hello Brian,

My cousin in Australia has written:-

Report of the search for former RAF pilot, Reginald Victor Sessions in Australia, Tasmania. Only four Sessions were found where kinship can be proven

1) Reginald Victor SESSIONS (brother of Lionel Sessions)
    Born 1895 Gloucester UK. Died on 17 April 1958 aged 62. He was cremated at Carr Villa Cemetery, Launceston, Tasmania and his ashes are placed in the Western Wall B1-423.

2) Patricia Mary SESSIONS (daughter of Lionel and Lucy Sessions)
    Born about 1928. Died on 13 February 1995 aged 67. She was cremated at Carr Villa Cemetery, Launceston, Tasmania and her ashes are placed in Rose Garden B3-53. Patricia’s ashes are placed under a rose tree with Lionel Frank Sessions and Lucy Mary Sessions.

3) Lionel Frank SESSIONS (husband of Lucy Mary SESSIONS)
    Died on 16 November 1971, his ashes were scattered and a memorial plaque placed in the rose garden. No age found.

4) Lucy Mary SESSIONS (wife of Lionel Sessions)
    Died on 25 January 1980 aged 85. Her ashes are placed in the rose garden.

Electoral Rolls
    A check of the current Electoral Rolls for Tasmania has been completed but alas, no listings for people with the surname SESSIONS was found.

Obituary
    No obituary was found throughout Tasmania for Reginald Victor Sessions.

Wills
    No will was found in Tasmania for RV Sessions.

Note
    There are several other people with the surname SESSIONS buried at the Carr Villa Cemetery. Could they be family members?

Carr Villa website: http://www.launceston.tas.gov.au/index.php/cemetery-a-cremat...etc

Summary:
    Surname Given Names Age Date of Death
    SESSIONS LIONEL FRANK n/k 16/11/1971
    SESSIONS LUCY MARY 85 25/1/1980
    SESSIONS PATRICIA MARY 67 13/2/1995
    SESSIONS REGINALD 62 17/4/1958

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 24th August 2009 at 11:15. Reason: minor corrections

Thanks

Norman, very many thanks - I will email you off-board.

For those following this saga there has been a three-pronged approach off-board. Norman has been seeking a link through Tasmania in the hope that Sessions's niece, with whom he travelled to Australia, might still be living there. That approach is now abandoned.

In the meantime I'd found a very distant relative of the family living in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia, who had developed a considerable family tree. He provided a link that has helped Peter (Resmorah) identify a great-niece, who I think might be living in East Anglia.

The search seems to be approaching an end - one can but hope it proves worthwhile.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 24th August 2009 at 13:48. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

BINGO!

From which you will gather I've been in touch with Reginald Sessions's family and my search is ended.

Once again I must thank all who have helped, both on and off-board, without you I'd never have made it -"Thank you".

Brian

Thanks

Does that mean that "documentation" has been had?

A

Thanks

Long story Amrit, but not at present. We are now three generations on, and it is a large family. Reginald's nephew, who could have helped, died last April, and although his wife knows some photographs have survived, others were destroyed after his death. So far as Sessions's logbook is concerned she is not aware of it, but it is still possible it exists somewhere as one of the family is very keen on the family's history. I hope to make contact there in due course. At the moment the lady is looking for the surviving photos - from her recollection of them they sound as though they could be of interest to me in a meteorological sense.

The lady is a Sessions by marriage (her husband flew glider tugs during WW2) and she said her eyes glazed over when discussions turned to WW1 and WW2 - sounds just like my wife!

Brian

Thanks

This search has reached a successful conclusion in that I am in contact with Reggie's great-nephew, who has inherited photographs that are pertinent to my story from his uncle. I've been extremely fortunate, the photographs could easily have been destroyed as no-one in the family had expressed any interest, and they were only given to my contact shortly before his uncle died.

Sadly his logbook is missing.

So far as Lt Donald Humphrey Sessions MC is concerned he died, not whilst in structing at No 2 School of Aerial Gunnery, but when the wings of the unit's aircraft he was testing folded.

Thank you everyone.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 26th August 2009 at 11:22. Reason: New information about D H Sessions

Thanks

Default Shifty Sessions Flying Log Book

Hello Brian,
    I recall the RAF Museum hold a number of log books, have you tried them?
    Norman

Thanks

Brian,

Norman's message reminds me that the RAAF Museum at Point Cook, Victoria, also holds some log books. Whether Session's log book, with being being RAF, would be there is another matter.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

I'm sure it's lost gentlemen; I have the list of logbooks held by Hendon and Sessions is not included. The link with Australia in the end proved to be a red herring, in that he was only visiting family in Tasmania, so it's very unlikely that it's there - but thank you both for the suggestions.

Brian