Thread: F/O Baker (16 and 170 Squadron)

Thanks

Default F/O Baker (16 and 170 Squadron)

Can anyone help me find more about F/O Baker.

He flew with 16 Squadron with my father then was posted to 170 Squadron along with F/O Stuart-Duncan in early Feb 43.
    In a photo of 16 squadron taken in 1943 Dad has given his first name as Ian and his nickname was possibly "Deadbeat" Baker

My father records in his log book...

F/O Baker killed on his first operation with 170 Squadron flying No 2 to P/O Miles off Selsea Bill on return.

I can find no record of this accident and it is possible that he reappears later in 1944 at Hawarden .

Many thanks
    Motherbird

Thanks

Hello
    This may be of interest.
    F/O Geoffery Russell Baker 116766 was killed on 9/2/1943 while with 170 Squadron.
    He has no known grave and is listed on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Someone may have more details.
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

Hello Motherbird/Andy,

No.170 Sqn. Mustang I AL982, flew into the sea off Selsey Bill, Sussex, on 9-2-1943.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th May 2009 at 02:58. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Default P/Off I D Baker?

The 16 Sqn ORB is rarely especially helpful but it does seem to provide a couple of clues about another possible "Baker". It records for:

16/7/42 "P/Off I D Baker (practice flying from Weston Zoyland) experienced in the air failure with hydraulics system of Mustang**, landing at Yeovilton as directed by R/T he overshot the runway and completely wrecked the aircraft escaping injury himself."

and for

1/9/42 "P/Offs Baker, Tickner and Rumbold to 35 OTU, Annand, Flying Duties."

As far as I know there never was a "35 OTU" and I do not think there is a place in UK called "Annand" so I assume that this is a mistake for No 55 OTU at Annan in Scotland; this was a fighter OTU.

Steve

** seems to be AG626
    Last edited by SteveBrooking; 29th May 2009 at 12:57. Reason: add serial

Thanks

Thanks for that info everybody.

I have now got it sorted. There were two Bakers with 16 Squadron.
    F/O Geoffery Russell Baker 116766 who went to 170 squadron about 3rd Feb 43 and crashed off Portland Bill on return from his first op (a rhubarb) on 9th Feb.

The other Baker was Ian Dixon “Deadbeat” Baker 119831. He went off to Middle East at some point in 42/3 and returned with eye trouble to be an instructor at Hawarden in or about Nov 43.

Many thanks.

Motherbird.