Thread: William McNeil

Thanks

Default William McNeil

This one may be a long shot but I have a photo of my Great Uncle in the RAF, unfortunately I have very few details on him - I had a chat with my Mum and got the following details, he was William McNeil, he was from the Islands of the West of Scotland, the picture shows him with a Observer badge he may have served as a navigator, he was an officer (Flight Lieutenant has been mentioned), he flew on Lancasters, he survived the War, he volunteered early in the War.

Unfortunately I only met him once about twenty years ago at a family funeral and the conversation afterwards revolved around his time as a footballer - I am led to believe he played for Hamilton and his Dad was on Chelseas books - it was only after he went home I found he had been with Bomber Command.

I know its not much to go on but I am hoping he may show up on someones Squadron nominal roll or crew lists.

Thanks

Alistair

Doug Cuthbertson Guest

Hi Alistair,
    I presume this was his full name.
    This is the only William McNeil I can trace in the London Gazette Archives.

Sgt William McNeil, 1550191, RAFVR. Commissioned to P/O, 149679, on 7th June 1943. To F/O, 7th Dec 1943 and F/Lt, 7th June 1945. No awards were made, otherwise we could have discovered his squadron.
    Try asking around the family to see if his Log Book has survived.

Regards, Doug.

Thanks

Hi Doug,
    As far as I know its his full name, if this is him hopefully the 2 numbers will help in my quest. As he lived out in the islands and my family live in Central Scotland their wasnt much contact - I am not sure if their are relatives out their, I guess I need to start digging into it.

The one picture I have is at http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/ab64/raf.jpg I dont think it gives any real clues about him.

Thanks for your help

Alistair

Doug Cuthbertson Guest

Ok, Alistair.
    One other thing you could do is a search on p/man insworth. This will give you the address of RAF Insworth. If you tell them your relationship with William McNeil they may supply you with his service record. Unfortunately, they will charge you 30, which I think is a cheek.
    Doug.

Thanks

Cheers for that, will have a check to see about family members who may be able to help then look to follow up Insworth.

Cheers again

Alistair