Thread: 1311904 Sergeant John Churley FREESTONE (RAFVR)

Thanks

Default 1311904 Sergeant John Churley FREESTONE (RAFVR)

Hi ! …

I am new to the site and I am not quite sure where to post this, so I hope this is o.k.

I am seeking any available information about my uncle, John Churley Freestone, 1311904, Sergeant (Observer), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

All I know about him is that he was stationed in Scotland and I believe he was killed when his aircraft came down. As he is buried at Kirkinner Cemetery, near a WW2 airbase at WIGTOWN, I make the assumption he was probably stationed at Wigtown.

I also know, from the CWGC entry shown below, that his death is given as 14/09/1942 and there are 4 other airmen listed with the same death date, so possibly all from the same aircraft …

BETTS, IVAN HAROLD, I H Pilot Officer (Pilot) 109064 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 14/09/1942 31 Grave 607.
    CALDER, GEORGE DOUGLAS, G D Sergeant 401366 Royal Australian Air Force 14/09/1942 24 Grave 609.
    FREESTONE, JOHN CHURLEY J C Sergeant (Observer.) 1311904 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 14/09/1942 29 Grave 642.
    STEELE-NICHOLSON, JOHN EDWIN CHARLES AVERELL, J E C A Sergeant (Air Gunner.) 1591275 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 14/09/1942 20 Grave 604.
    TALLEY, VICTOR FREDERICK, V F Sergeant (Air Gunner.) 1320265 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 14/09/1942 Unknown Grave 605.

Hoping to find out, the circumstances, when it happened (day/night), where it happened, in what type of aircraft and, hopefully, the aircraft’s markings.

Very many thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help, either in part or in full …

Doug Clews - Western Australia

Thanks

Default Liberator crash Scotland

I haven't fully read the files but the A705 file is already on your own Aussy National archives web site. It was a Liberator crash on a training flight. Search by service number if the link doesn't work.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp

Peter

Thanks

Default Liberator crash Scotland

PS

search under this amn's number, CALDER, GEORGE DOUGLAS, G D Sergeant 401366 Royal Australian Air Force

Peter

Thanks

Hello Doug,

14 September 1942
    No.1653 Conversion Unit
    Liberator II AL624
    Training.

Took off Burn on a cross-country exercise, during which the bomber flew into a hill, shrouded in cloud, near Millfore in Kirkcudbright. Five were taken to the Royal Air Force plot in the village of Kirkinner, nearly 3 miles south of Wigtown, and laid to rest in the local cemetery. The others were claimed by their next of kin. P/O Betts was the son of Commander Ernest Edward Alexander Betts CBE RN.

P/O I H Betts +
    Sgt D E Warner +
    Sgt J C Freestone +
    Sgt G C Boar +
    Sgt G D Calder RAAF +
    Sgt J E C A Steele-Nicholson +
    Sgt V F Talley +
    Sgt J Bowrey +

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses Vol.8: Heavy Conversion Units and Miscellaneous Units 1939-1947.
    Chorley,W R
    Hinckley:Midland Publishing,2003.
    p.30

See also: National Archives of Australia. NAA: A705 163/95/372

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th June 2009 at 07:46. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Doug

if you haven't already done so then have a look at this link:

http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic601-0-asc-0.html

It had photos of all the headstones

A

Thanks

Default Liberator AL624

I've just been looking at your 'thread' on the forum. My uncle was Sgt DE Warner, Derek, and I've known for all my life that he was killed whilst flying with the RAF during the war. But it has taken me til today to actually get the details of where and when it happened, let alone how. I do like the internet.

Thanks

Was the airbase West Freugh nearish Wigtown ?
    My RAAF father did his Observer or Bombaimer training there in 1943

Anne

Thanks

West Freugh is to the South East of Stranraer, whereas Wigtown was a different station to the east along the coast by about 15 to 20 miles (in a straight line). The nearest town to Wigtown (other than Wigtown itself) is Newton Stewart.

Katybird, I went to the crash site of AL624 last October, the weather wasn't good but I took quite a few photos of the site, I photographed the graves of those buried at Kirkinner Cemetery in July last year.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Al
    Thanks for the position info.
    I drove to West Freugh one rainy day, many years ago .It seemed bleak and winswept but may have been pleasant in sunny weather .The base was still being used by the RAF and had a sentry at the gate .I believe it's also used by film companies

Anne

Thanks

Keep an eye on Aircrashsites-scotland web page as the crash of AL624 is due to be added this month. I have visited the site on a couple of occasions when the area is shrouded in low cloud, makes it easy to understand how the accident happened, some of the wreckage is scattered for a considerable distance from the impact point.

Alan.
    http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/