Thread: Rhodesian Typhoon Pilot - Capstick-Dale

Matt Anderson Guest

Default Rhodesian Typhoon Pilot - Capstick-Dale

I wonder if anyone can help me locate infornation about a Typhoon pilot, Capstick-Dale, who might have won a DFC following the invasion of Normandy. I believe he was flying with 175 Squadron RAF. The only reference I have been able to find of him was in a book entiled 'Typhoon Warfare, Reminiscences of a Rocket Firing typhoon Pilot', by an Australian pilot, Tom Hall.

I am particularly interested in the aircraft Capstick-Dale flew, and locating his citation for the DFC, if awarded.

Many thanks and happy new year to you all,

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Anderson; 5th January 2008 at 21:29.

Thanks

Matt,

There is no mention of this man in Maton's 'Honour the Air Forces - honours and awards to the RAF & Dominion Air Forces during WWII', nor in Salt's 'A Pride of Eagles - the definitive history of the Rhodesian Air Force 1920-1980'.

Errol

Thanks

Default Captstick-Dale

G'day Matt

Extracted from the following site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coigach/altimack.htm

Stanley Hall Elphinstone Capstick-Dale, born 1922, died 24 July, 1944, noted in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database (120) as "Son of Lieut.-Comdr. E. J. Capstick-Dale, and of Marjorie Capstick-Dale; stepson of Mr. D. Stant, of Chingola, Northern Rhodesia" (modern Zimbabwe), his rank and position at death noted as Second Lieutenant (Pilot) in the South African Air Force.

* He is buried in Plot I/2 Grave 247

Cheers...Chris

Matt Anderson Guest

Default Thanks

Many thanks for that.

I understand Capstick-Dale survived the war (I met his son in South Africa - born in the 50's) and his first name, I believe, Eric.

Wish I could be of more help...

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Capstick-Dale spun in whilst with 3 Tactical Exercise Unit flying Typhoon JP847. 26/9/44 had to make an emergency landing at a forward landing-strip after being attacked by Bf109s. (Thomas/Shores The Typhoon & Tempest Story)

Thanks

Default Capstick-Dale(s)

There were two, brothers I believe (possibly twins?). They may have been on the same course at 3 TEU as 2LT S.H.E.Capstick-Dale was killed on 24 July 44 (spun in during an unauthorised low-level 'dogfight') and Lt E.M.Capstick-Dale joined 175 Sqn circa September 44. TEU courses were followed by a spell at a GSU so the timing is about right.

So it was the latter pilot that was involved in the incident on 26 Sept 44; unfortunately (not having realised there were two Capstick-Dales at the time) the index in 'T&T Story' would suggest it was the former! The incident is more full described in 2ndTAF Vol.2 p.305.
    CT

Chris Scott Guest

Default Chingola

Please indulge a couple of side observations re. this interesting tale.
    For the record, Chingola - formerly in Northern Rhodesia - is now in Zambia, not Zimbabwe.* Northern Rhodesia gained independence as Zambia in, I think, 1964. Chingola is a small mining town, on the so-called Copperbelt, near the border with what was the Katanga province of the then Belgian Congo.

The Secretary-General of the UN, Dag Hammarskjold, was killed in an air crash (DC-6) on the approach to the nearby (also Northern Rhodesian) town of Ndola in 1961, during the post-independence civil war across the border in secession-seeking Katanga. The story was that the crew may have been using an instrument approach chart (and accompanying descent profile) for a sea-level airfield with a slightly similar name: Ndola and environs are around 4000 ft amsl.

* [Neighbouring Southern Rhodesia was refused independence by Britain; seized it with Ian Smith's UDI in 1965, styling itself Rhodesia; and was later granted legal independence as Zimbabwe in 1980.]

Thanks

I uncovered some interesting details for this older thread in relation to the heritage of the Capstick-Dale brothers.

Firstly the surname is either Capstickdale or Capstick-Dale depending on the reference.

Both Stanley Elphenstone and Eric McLeay were born in Australia. Parents Lt James Ernest Capstickdale was British born and in the RNR and RANR, mother was Ellen Margueritte (Marjorie?) McLeay from Sydney Australia (married 1920). They had a daughter as well.

Jamesí union with Ellen was a second marriage following the death of his first wife Mary Elizabeth (possible Agnes) Liston (also an Australian from Williamstown Victoria) in 1919. There were three sons from this marriage all born in Williamstown- Ernest, Reginald and Lionel. Am not sure if any saw WWII service (no Capstickdale/Capstick-Dale via Australian Nominal Rolls)

Trove online newspapers confirm Stanley was born at Cooinda NSW on 9 Oct 1921 and Eric 21 Dec 1922 also at Cooinda. At the time their father had business dealings in Borneo. I am uncertain when the family moved away from Australia (probably at a young age) although it seems both brothers were raised and received their education in South Africa. So, it could be said, Stanley and Eric were very rare Australians enlisted in the South African Air Force.

While several RAAF personnel served with SAAF units I have only discovered about 9 with Australian connection who were actually enlisted in the SAAF.

regards, Drew