Thread: Sgt McClellan, American pilot in RAF

Thanks

Default Sgt McClellan, American pilot in RAF

Hi All,
    Hopefully members of the forum will be able to help with this request.
    Sgt McClellan was my fathers pilot from July 1942 until December 1942. The only information I have is as follows:
    He was with 21OTU July 1942 to end August 1942.
    1446 Ferry Flight Moreton in Marsh September 1942 to 12/9/42.
    Ferry Flight M.E. flying Wellington HX 676 which was abandoned over Maiduguri French Sudan 28/9/42.
    Arrived Cairo 23/10/42 on Douglas DC3 23/10/42.
    In hospital at Elmaza Transit Camp with leg infection 24/10/42.
    70 Squadron RAF January 1943.
    In June 1943 was Lt flying Flying Fortresses with USAF in M.E.
    Have tried the American Service sites but Red Tape and use of snail mail is proving to be very complicated and frustrating.
    Would the RAF hold his records or would the have all been sent to USA? I would very much like to get a copy of his full service record and even determine if he is still alive (given his age if still alive this might be a long shot).
    Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.
    Last edited by RobJ; 7th June 2009 at 06:59. Reason: spelling correction

Thanks

Rob,

It might help forumites to come up with additional info if they also know that he was:

Sgt F A McClellan, RCAF

(from Gunby/Temple's RAF Bomber Losses in the ME/Med)

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,
    Thanks for this additional information much appreciated. It begs the question, did he do his initial training in Canada and then travel to UK and join OTU? He was certainly American but I now assume records may well be held with RCAF as well as RAF and USAAF? Hopefully some of our other members can add to this.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Default Sgt McClellan, American pilot

R.79356 Francis Appleton McClellan - American citizen - born December 1911. Enlisted in RCAF, Montreal, 21 April 1941 and posted to No.2 Manning Depot, Brandon. To No.2 Initial Training School, Regina, 27 May 1941. Graduated and promoted LAC, 15 July 1941. Posted that date to No.19 Elementary Flying Training School, Virden, Manitoba. To No.12 Service Flying Training School, 31 August 1941. Graduated and promoted Sergeant, 22 November 1941. Posted that date to "Y" Depot, Halifax. To RAF overseas, 12 December 1941. Discharged from RCAF on transfer to American forces, 2 February 1943.

Thanks

Hi Hugh,
    Thanks very much for this information, fills in an important part in my search, much appreciated. Have you any suggestions as to the best way to approach the USAAF regarding his service record or is it just a question of writing to them by standard mail?
    Again thank you for your help.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.
    Last edited by RobJ; 12th June 2009 at 03:59. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Default Sgt McClellan, American pilot in RAF

"Have you any suggestions as to the best way to approach the USAAF regarding his service record or is it just a question of writing to them by standard mail ?"

Sorry, I have had no experience with USAAF records.

Thanks

Found the folllowing obituary for Winchester MA.

Martha (Hill) McClellan
    Martha (Hill) McClellan of Wellfleet, 85, formerly of Winchester, died Aug. 29, 2003. She was the wife of Francis A. "Mac" McClellan.

I can;t see any relevent Social Security death entry so try whitepages for the state of MA (not going to try spelling that!)

Could be still alive.

The name shows up as civilian crew member on Fligth in 1945 1946 with Colonial Airlines.

Nov 22 1941 he travelled to New York from Toronto, presumably on leave from 12 SFTS, listed as a RCAF Sgt Pilot. he flew as passenger with Trans Canada Airlines. Born in MA.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 12th June 2009 at 12:01. Reason: spelling
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default National Archives of the USA

To find McClelland's American service record you should contact the National Archives Records Administration (NARA) at St.Louis Missouri . You will be required to furnish proof that you are an immediate family member if you want the full record.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

Also, see links to the fire of 1973 which destroyed approximatley 75% 0f USAAF records.

Thanks

Hi Dennis and Ken,
    Firstly thank you Dennis for the valuable information you have supplied. I have done a search through white pages and hopefully have found both Francis McClellan and his son Robert. Unfortunately no email addresses but I'm sending a query by standard mail, so hope I will get the response that I am wanting. Your help is much appreciated.

Ken thanks for your help and yes I will be writing to the NARA, I was hoping someone may have found an easier way to go about things but knowing the "red tape" surrounding these searches I shouldn't have been surprised that there is no simple solution.
    Regards to you both,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Hi Folks,
    I thought it appropriate to give this update and my thanks to all those members of the forum who have assisted me in my search to contact Sgt Francis McClellan. I wrote a letter to whom I hoped was his son and struck "Gold". His son has just emailed me and says his father at 97yrs is in good health although a little hard of hearing, very acceptable considering his years. His son and father are both more than willing to stay in contact and share memories and information on those years in WW2.
    The marvel that is the Internet never fails to amaze me and I thank all members who gave of their time to helping me achieve this fabulous result.
    Many thanks and kind regards,
    Rob Jerram.