Thread: Lancaster ME617 SR-N (101 Squadron).

Thanks

Default Lancaster ME617 SR-N (101 Squadron).

Lost night of 12th/13th August '44, Russelsheim.

Seeking further information on behalf of a crew relative to fill in some gaps on the story of this loss. ME617 was shot down over/just after target and I am trying to establish the cause (flak or fighter)? The sole survivor of the crew of 8 (ABC crew) was the rear gunner Sgt Bert H Cave, who on repatriation was unable to give an account of the night he was shot down. I have full crew list, raid details and details of events after the crash related to burials etc, any further information, particularly on Sgt Cave would be gratefully received.

As this is my first post I would like to confirm that I am an amateur Bomber Command enthusiast (of little or no merit) researching on a non-commercial basis!

Thanks

Alan.

Thanks

The raid on 12/13 August was targetted on Brunswick (Braunschweig). Approx 46 bombers were claimed by nightfighters but haven't checked bomber Command war Diaries yet. If you refer to Tony Woods website http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/tony/tonywood.htm
    for Nightfighter Combat Claims, it may help you eliminate some claims but there appear to be at least 3 claims in the vicinity of Braunschweig, so unless you have any further information it may not be possible to narrow the search further. The Bomber Command website which you appear to have checked doesn't provide any information at all, which is quite surprising as that usually collates a lot of the available information "out there".
    Sorry, can't be of more help.

Thanks

Alan,

Via Ancestry, the Death's Index shows Bert Harold Cave born 10 June 1924, death regd Dec 1989 aged 65 in Blackburn Lancashire. Could this be your man?

Regards
    Martyn

Thanks

Hello Alan

I might suggest you try WWII talk or WWII forums as well as the Luftwaffe Experten forum.
    They were very helpful to me whilst I was researching my book. It was through them I was put in contact with Dr. Theo Boiten, a Dutch historian and author of the Nachtsjagd War Diaries. Theo was able to tell me who the nightfighter was that shot my father down in the early morning of Aug.12/13, 1944 while he was on his return from Russelsheim. I know many of the forum members have a copy of Theo's book. I would provide all details you have of the crew, the aircraft including squadron and aircraft id#'s as well as the general location of the crash.

Leslie

Thanks

Hi Alan,

I checked Theo Boitens Nachtjagd War Diaries but unfortunately the information I found on the 12-13 august raid won't give you a cause of the crash of the ME-617.There are 49 claims mentioned in the book.Of only eight of the claims there is a positive match with a bomber but the ME-617 isn't one of them.

regards

Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike
    Just curious as to which bomber was mentioned in Theo's book? He had requested a lot of information from me with respect to my father his crew and his aircraft, Lancaster ND969 60F for Freddy from 582 Squadron shot down by Fw.Ervin Egelar.

Leslie

Thanks

Hi Leslie,

Your father's Lancaster is mentioned.The details which are mentioned are:

Fw.Erwin Egeler:2 12./NJG 1 4-mot Morbach area:4800 m. 23.58
    poss.582 Sqn Lanc. ND969

regards

Mike

Thanks

Thanks Mike
    I was just curious as Theo had requested my dad's version of what had happened that night along with pictures of him and his crew.

Regards
    Leslie

Thanks

Default Lancaster ME 617

Mike, Leslie, Martyn, Kevin,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and give me a few useful pointers!

Martyn, I think you are spot on re; the Sgt Cave info as this ties in with information already known to the family on whose behalf I am doing the digging!

Cheers and regards

Alan.