Thread: Air Commodore T E B Howe

Thanks

Default Air Commodore T E B Howe

Does anyone know if there is a biography or autobiography for Air Commodore T E B Howe? I am especially interested in his time at Andover between January 1920 and May 1923 when he flew meteorological sorties whilst with 11 Squadron.

TIA
    Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 9th June 2009 at 10:43.

Thanks

I've a bit on him on my site at...

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/planes/preww2/j9061.html

whenhe crashed a Fairey IIIf near Stokesley, Yorkshire in 1931.

regards Rich Allenby

Thanks

Brian

Small biog:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1937/1937%20-%202598.html?search=T.%20E.%20B.%20Howe

"The Air Ministry announces t hat Air Commodore Thomas Edward Barham Howe, C.B.E., A.F.C., is appointed Senior Air Staff Officer and temporary Air Officer Commanding No. 12 (Fighter) Group, Royal Air Force, in October, 1937, vice Air Commodore J o h n Hugh Samuel Tyssen, M.C.

Air Commodore T. E. B. Howe was commissioned in the Royal Naval Air Service as a Flight Sub-Lieutenant in 1916, having served in the Australian Imperial Force since October, 1914; and for valuable flying services rendered during the Great War was awarded the Air Force Cross, as well as being mentioned in despatches. In 1919 he was granted a permanent commission in the Royal Air Force with the rank of Flight Lieutenant.

From September, 1919, until January, 1923, he served at the School of Air Pilotage, and for valuable flying services a t the School, was awarded a bar to the Air Force Cross in the New Year Honours List, 1923. After a year in command of No. 32 Squadron, Air Comdre. Howe passed a course at the Royal Air Force Staff College. In January, 1929, he was appointed commandant of R.A.F. Station Headquarters, Northolt; and later that year was appointed to command No. 203 (Flying Boat) Squadron in Iraq. After his return to the United Kingdom in 1930, Air Comdre. Howe was employed on Air Staff duties in the Directorate of Training at the Air Ministry until September, 1933, when he was posted to Headquarters Fighting Area as Officer-in-Cbarge of Administration, and later as Senior Equipment Staff Officer. Since September, 1935, Air Comdre. Howe has held the appointment of Air Attache at Washington. In the New Year Honours List, 1936, he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. He was promoted Squadron Leader in 1924, to Wing Commander in 1928, to Group Captain in 1933, and to his present rank on July 1, 1937. He acted as additional Air Aide-de-Camp to His late Majesty King George V from January, 1934, until August, 1935."

Thanks

Thank you Amrit (Rich I've emailed you). It's the detail between 1919 and 1923 I'd like to fill. I know that he and his boss, S/L McClaughry, shared daily met sorties between them as part of their duties, and I was hoping a bio might have provided a little bit of flesh for me. There are no RAF documents about Met Flights at this time, so I'm really dependent on non-official documents.

I'm OK for the 1930s as I'm in touch with Jeffrey Quill's daughter and she's transcribing some of his documents for me.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

I am in contact with T E B Howe's son, who has recently sent me a number of photos to put on my site, which are at

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Howe_T.htm

Whether he has any info on the flight you are interested I don't know.

Malcolm

Thanks

Many thanks Malcolm - I've emailed you.

Brian