Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 Sqdn Lysander - shot down 4/11/1941

Thanks

From a history of 16 Sqn dated 1969, at Laarbruch, compiled by a serving Squadron member who had been appointed Squadron historian at the time- possibly a Flt Lt Dobbie (?).

"In June 1941 a double tragedy struck the Squadron. Wg Cdr Hancock, who had gone down to Roborough to visit the detachment in the Proctor, crashed while taking off killing himself and badly injuring his passenger. Sqn Ldr D Walker, DFC, assumed command and flew to Roborough to make arrangements for the Wg Cdr's funeral. The day after, whilst enroute back to Weston Zoyland, Walker's Lysander was intercepted by four Me 109s. He was attacked over the sea near Teignmouth and attempted to evade his pursuers. The rear gunner shot down one enemy aircraft before Sqn Ldr Walker was also shot down. The Lysander crashed into a house in Exeter, killing both the pilot and rear gunner."

No mention of any Lysander loss in November, when the Squadron was in the process of converting to the Mustang.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbh1f View Post

The rear gunner shot down one enemy aircraft before Sqn Ldr Walker was also shot down. The Lysander crashed into a house in Exeter, killing both the pilot and rear gunner."
    Hi
    Interesting never heard this before,
    Not JG2 109, previous loss 9th june(flak), next loss 13 june( engine failure),and seems no 109 losses at all for 11 june.
    Only 109's I knew of crashed in/off devon are in '42.
    Likewise only a/c I knew crashed in exeter,hurricane, blenheim and a JU-88.
    Looks like a bit more research for me.. Unless anyone else has more details.
    cheers
    Jerry