Thread: Luftwaffe NJG victory claim reports & bomber losses

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe NJG victory claim reports & bomber losses

If we know that Schnaufer or Lent were the likely night fighter pilots to have shot down a particular bomber on a specific date, is it possible to consult their claim reports (presumably the same sort of thing as our own Air 50 Combat Reports at TNA).

Are they known to have survived ?

Thank you

Thanks

Pete, many German records of the type you're after were destroyed at the end of the war - there are doubtless some such surviving at Freiburg but not easy to access. In the latter stages of the war, the pilot's own claims became less specific in detail about exactly what type of aircraft was destroyed (sometimes simply "viermot" (4 engined), where the combat took place and the likely crash site. I have some copies of Schnaufer's, and his bordfunker's (Fritz Rumpelhardt) logbooks and from mid-1944 onwards they normally refer only to the planquadrate (grid) area. See my website www.ordinarycrew.co.uk "The Nachtjagd" section for more info.
    Regards
    Max Williams
    Last edited by Galgos; 15th June 2009 at 21:35.
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Thanks Max

I corresponded with Emil Nonnenmacher for several years and I know, as an example that he had a vast archive of original II/NJG1 files of victory claims 1941-45 including (for each victory claim) the narrative reports by the NJG airmen, their radar operators (ground), radar plot charts showing the night fighters being converged with the bombers and many of the files contained photos of the crash sites, some with large pieces of bombers and some quite sad with pics of the dead airmen.

I know that Emil intended these to go to Bundesarchive and I expected that his were obtained from a fellow Veteran of the NJGs (maybe being the copies held by the unit) and was hoping that the Luftwaffe QMG would have held the originals - maybe being at Bundesarchiv now ?
    Last edited by PeteS; 16th June 2009 at 12:45.