Thread: F/S Leslie Edmund Workman-RNZAF

Thanks

Default F/S Leslie Edmund Workman-RNZAF

Hi guys,

Since their are members on this forum who have a lot of knowledge of the Royal New Zealand Air Force I would like to drop a question about a airman of the RNZAF.His name is F/S Leslie Edmund Workman.He came from Kaikoura,New Zealand a little town on the east coast with a population of about 3000.June 13,1943 F/S Workman and his crewmates were killed in action when their Lancaster from 49 squadron was shot down near my hometown Zwolle in the Netherlands.
    I was hoping somebody could tell me some biographical information on him.And if anybody is aware of a photo of him that would be great.
    I already contacted the Kaikoura library but since they are a little library I doubt if they will be able to help me.I will try to find relatives of him but before I step in the (big) world of genealogy I hope one of you guys could tell me more about him.

Thank you.

regards

Mike

Thanks

Mike,

From my trilogy 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Three: Biographies & Appendices)':

WORKMAN, Flight Sergeant Leslie Edmund.
    NZ414536; b Kaikoura 23 May 14; Kaikoura DHS (1st XV); carpenter - H W Rainey, Kaikoura. RNZAF Levin/ITW as Air Gunner u/t 3 Aug 41, emb for Canada 22 Sep 41, att RCAF 7 Oct 41, 2WS 11 Oct 41 [hosp 25-28 Nov & 5-12 Jan 42], KTS 1 Jun 42, remust as Air Gunner u/t 9 Jun 42, 4BGS 5 Jul 42, Air Gunners Badge & Sgt 14 Aug 42, 34OTU RAF (Ventura) 13 Sep 42 [cancelled?], 1 Y Depôt 15 Sep 42, att RAF & emb for UK 25 Sep 42, 3PRC 9 Oct 42, 29OTU (Wellington) 28 Oct 42, 1654HCU (Lancaster) 26 Apr 43, 49 Sqn (Lancaster- 2 ops) 5 Jun 43, kao 13 Jun 43. Raalte General Cemetery - grave 26, Overijssel, Netherlands. Son of Edmund Henry & Beatrice Katie Dora Workman (née Horner), Kaikoura. [phot. TWN 4.2.42 & 18.8.43].

TWN = New Zealand illustrated paper call 'The Weekly News'. Photo of Workman appears in the issues of 4 Feb 42 (page 20 - pictured with large group of 2WS trainees at Calgary) and 18 Aug 43 (page 20 - small portrait type view).

Scans available from the RNZAF Museum. Contact Email: info@airforcemuseum.co.nz

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,

Thanks a lot for your respond and the information.I now know a lot more about this brave airman which will help me to tell his story.
    I will contact the RNZAF museum to obtain the photos.

Mike

Thanks

Hi Errol,

In regards to F/S L.E. Workman and No.34 OTU, Pennfield Ridge, this notation was taken from the station ORBs:

14/9/42: "The number of pupils in Courses Nos. 3 and 4 were reduced to 16 crews, each crew consisting of 1 Pilot, 1 Observer, 1 WAG and 1 AG. Due to the reduction in the number of trainees, which was effected owing to the continued lack of serviceable aircraft for the want of spares and tyres, the pupils for No.3 Course were re-allocated between Nos. 3 and 4 Courses which began today. The surplus pupils still remaining, as well as some 40 WAGs who were posted here on the 3rd inst. to await absorption were posted away. The pupils posted away consisted of 26 Pilots, 43 WAGs and 32 AGs - total 101. This, however, still left 17 WAGs on the Unit indisposed of for whom posting instructions were sought from D.A.P.S. OTTAWA."

Regards,
    Christian

Thanks

Christian,

Thanks very much for this most helpful explanation/info.

Errol