Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Archives

Thanks

Default National Archives

Quick question,

is anybody having difficulty in obtaining copies of documents via internet order form,

i seem to be limited to a 20 check result

thanks

Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I assume you mean getting estimates for copying? I had some ORBs and appendices done recently and when I phoned them up to ask how they were coming along, I was told that the current lead time on copying is 57 days (!). That's after a 10 working day lead time just to get the estimates. Given their workload, they may well be limiting the size of each order to avoid being even more snowed under.

To make matters worse I made a typo in one of my references, so now I'm back to square one again! On the plus side, I have around 700 pages to keep me busy while I'm waiting, plus a bonus section of 264 Sqn ORB if I get bored.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks

Jeff,

I have phoned NA today & it would appear my request is not from 'the normal or regular ORB' ie, famous sqn's.
    It has been explained that because they are not 'regular' ORB requests they are outside of the '20min' allocated for searching by NA staff.

Chris

Thanks

Hi,
    Correct me if i'm wrong but the N/A copying dept is going to stop searching for files ordered unless the correct information is supplied, in the future they are going to recommend the services of professional researchers to find the files for you before ordering, apparrently it's no longer cost effective, reason being that of the many estimates searched and costed for, only a small number are being taken further by customers (or something like that) it's all explained on the copying dept pages online.
    Jeff, as for waiting times, i received an estimate for 23sqdn ORB on 3/2/09, ordered it same day but it never reached me until 29/5/09, but i had an unexpected bonus of a years worth of 22sqdn SAAF on the disc as well.

Thanks

Hi
    I would have thought the NA would have come up with the idea of a CD of each squadron ORB from 39-45,( irrespective of actual dates of operation) and sell them.
    Say 'two or three' Squadron ORB's for the month,( plus say the appendices and combat claims), get all the orders in, then mass produce the CD's.
    Bit like flight used to do with their photo of the month, but CD's.
    Money in the NA funds .....me thinks..
    cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Hi Jerry,
    Unfortunately not!
    after the intial 20min search, it is then 15 for 15mins....I like your idea but it does not raise funds

Chris

Thanks

If the Copying Dept are taking 60 days or more to process requests, then surely a CD for each Sqdn would be far more cost effective and allow the Copying Dept to spend time on other requests.
    They must know what frequent orders they get, so a stockpile of those would free them to catch up on a lot of other requests.
    A fair price would make it cost effective, plus all the other copying being done faster would lead to further requests. I'm sure a lot of people are put off if they have 2 months or more to wait, whereas if 2 or 3 weeks, they'd put orders in and thus increase revenue.

Thanks

Well if ordering documents wasn't becoming more awkward, now I see from their news today that they will be closed on Mondays from late autumn.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/325.htm?WT.hp=nf-37377

I know I haven't been for a couple of years but for anyone visiting from outside of mainland UK it curtails best use of time if planning a week long. Progress (or is that job cuts!!)

Pierre

Thanks

Default Buyer beware

I recently bought a CD of 76 Squadron O.R.B.'s and was very disappointed to see many unreadable copies. I have contacted the National Archives about this and await their response.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 1st July 2009 at 09:43. Reason: spelling correction

Thanks

Hi Norman,
    I hope you have better luck than i did, my copies were poor because of the fact it seems that the squadron diarist looks as though he could'nt be bothered to change the ribbon on his typewriter, and i was informed that the copies of pages requested were of the best reproduction available.