Thread: RAF A.I.D. service

Thanks

Default RAF A.I.D. service

In articles about the Royal Air Force, paticularly maintenance issues I have occassionaly seen mention of "A.I.D." sometimes as far back to the Royal Flying Corp days. Could someone tell me what it stood for, who were they and is it still in use? Thank you.
    Norman

Thanks

hello,

I seem to remember it might mean "Air Inspectorate Directory". And also that A.I.D. was also re-used in WW2 but with a different meaning, something like "Air Intelligence (Directory ?)".

Hopefully someone will confirm.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Norman
    Not sure if this helps but within the RAF there is a No1 AIDU based at Northolt. The initials in your post could be Aeronautical Information Documents. The Unit has been in existence only since 1949 and currently is concerned with maps and charts etc relevant to safe flying but I suspect the idea of disseminating basically safety information via a known series of documents is much older and could well, in it's early days, have included engineering warnings etc as well as flying matters
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Flight magazine has many mentions of the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate (AID), going from the early1920s through to the postwar period, and links it with the Technical branch.

Google then brings up a lot of hits on the "Aeronautical Inspection
    Directorate"

A

Thanks

Default A.i.d.

G'day Chaps

Here's what I have for the Royal Canadian Air Force. I suspect that much of this applies to the Royal Air Force as well.

Cheers...Chris

In 1938, due to the significant amount of aircraft production and repair work being carried out for the Royal Canadian Air Force, they (the R.C.A.F.) decided to set up units close to major aircraft companies. This allowed 'technically experienced' personnel to assist the contractors with interpretation specs and subsequently report back to Air Force Headquarters how things were progressing as well as carry out inspections on the quality of work being carried out by the companies. They could also ensure the safety of material supplied to the contractor. Prior to the Second World War, they were designated as Technical Detachments i.e No. 12 (Technical) Detachment, Toronto.

During the Second World War, the R.C.A.F. Technical Detachments were re-designated as Aeronautical Inspection Districts. They were numbered i.e No. 12 A.I.D. Toronto (formerly No. 12 (Technical) Detachment). After the war, A.I.D.'s were re-designated as Technical Services Units.

No. 11 A.I.D. - Montreal, Quebec
    No. 12 A.I.D. - Toronto, Ontario
    No. 13 A.I.D. - Vancouver, British Columbia
    No. 14 A.I.D. - Ottawa, Ontario
    No. 15 A.I.D. - Winnipeg, Manitoba
    No. 16 A.I.D. - Edmonton, Alberta
    No. 17 A.I.D. - Halifax, Nova Scotia

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Greetings,
    At Hawkers in 1941 and other aircaft factories it stood for "Aeronautical Inspection
    Directorate".

You woud find this stamped 'AID' on a number of components and on the aircraft in various places after 'inspection' by their Inspectors.

Digger.