Thread: Sgt RA Arnold / Wellington W5442 / Stallag VIII-B

Thanks

Default Sgt RA Arnold / Wellington W5442 / Stallag VIII-B

Hi,

Iím looking for photos of aircraft or crew for the following flight:

Aircraft:
    Wellington mkII W5442 PH-B of 12Sqn RAF Binbrook

Raid: Essen Ė 9 March 1942
    W5442 took off at 20:39hrs from RAF Binbrook. Shot down by flak and crashed at 23:42hrs alongside a road known as the Kagerweg, near Beverwijk Noord Holland, 21 km NW of the centre of Amsterdam.

Crew:
    Pilot: P/O R.H. Buchanan 45419 - Inj
    (P/O Buchanan was confined in Hospital due injuries then returned to UK)

2nd Pilot: Sgt P.G. Sanders 1380919
    (Killed in action)

Navigator: RNZAF Sgt R.A. Scragg nz/401413
    (Killed in action)

Front Gunner: Sgt H.M. Murdo 1060255
    (Killed in action)

Rear Gunner: Sgt R.A. Arnold 612589
    (Initialling reported as missing in action, on 26 March a call was received from Berlin advising that he was a PoW interned in Camps 8B/344/L4. No.24843)

Wireless Operator: Sgt C.J.Chedd 923890,
    (PoW No.24831)

My Grandfather was Sgt Ron Arnold.

Regards

Chris Roberts

Thanks

Default Sgt Chedd

I'm also intertested to know if anyone has contact with Neil Chedd who posted a thread in 2004 regarding Sgt Chedd who was one of the crew my Grandfather flew with:

((Neil Chedd (Guest) (1 posts)
    23-Jul-04, 01:54 PM (GMT)
    "Charles John Chedd known as Jack Chedd"
    Jack Chedd was a rear gunner shot down over France on 6-3-1941, he was captured and spent until the end of the war in Stalag-luft 3. Any further information gratefully received. ))

Regards Chris

Thanks

Chris,

A small portrait typ photo of NZ401413 Reuben Acton SCRAGG can be found on page 24 of the New Zealand publication 'The Weekly News' of 8 Apr 42.

Scan available via the RNZAF Museum for a small fee. Contact info@airforcemuseum.co.nz

I also have a contact for Reuben's brother. Send me a PM if you would like to be advised of this.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks Errol, I've just sent you an e-mail.

Thanks

Hello Chris,

What a coincidence! I've been approached today with regard to an eyewitness who saw one of the crew members crawl out of the field in which the Wellington crashlanded. Hope to receive information within a few days.

I can add that this Wellington was claimed at 23.42 hrs local time by Flak unit 3./Res.Abt.242 located near Velsen/Beverwijk. The Wellington subsequently crash landed into some trees near a road called Kagerweg in the community of Beverwijk.

As matter of fact W5442 was a kind of presentation aircraft wearing the name 'Sri Gurch' and some modest nose art when on service as BU-V with 214 Squadron in 1941. Still have to find out who exactly made the donation for this aircraft. I don't know whether this name was still carried when the Wellington served with 12 Squadrom, but this may be likely.

Decal sets for a model kit of W5442 are offered by the way.

Best regards,
    Hans Nauta
    Holland

Thanks

Default W5442

Hi all

I don't have access to my books at the moment but believe the name was in fact 'Sri Guroh' (so the markings set is wrong) and was to do with 214 Sqn's links with the Malay States (214 being adopted as 'Federated Malay States' squadron). I can check this later.

If anyone wants, I can also put together a list of the 30 ops W5442 flew with 214 between 16/6 and 30/11/1941 as I've made notes on all their wartime sorties.

Ian

Thanks

Default W5442 Crash Site

Hans, thats fantastic. Any more information about the crash would be greatly appreciated. Do you have a Lat/Long for the position? Are there any photos of the aircraft or any more information from the eye witness?

Regards

Chris

Thanks

Default Sgt RA Arnold

Thanks to everyone who has helped me fill in some gaps, particularly Hans who has done some investigating for me. I've also been in communication with Sgt Scraggs brother in New Zealand.

I'd still like to get in contact with Neil Chedd, who posted on this forum a few years ago, and I'm still looking for some photo's of the crew. Although based at Binbrook they frequently took off from RAF Waltham during the winter, as I've now discovered they did the night of their last mission. This was because the ground was too boggy in March 1942 at Binbrook for them to take off with a full load.

I know some photos were taken of the crew, but I donít know where they may now be located, if anywhere.

Thanks

Default Seeking further info on this topic

Navigator: RNZAF Sgt R.A. Scragg NZ/401413 was my uncle. He was the elder brother to my father Joe Scragg who was at that time serving in the Middle East as a sapper with the 2nd NZEF. The brother Chris speaks of contacting is my other uncle (John Scragg, the youngest of the three brothers) who still lives near Dunedin, New Zealand.

It transpires that it was Sgt RA Arnold who helped my uncle, who had been wounded, parachute from the plane and subsequently located him upon landing but unfortunately my uncle had died.

I am interested to know what other information may have been turned up by this thread and perhaps photos.
    In particular I am hoping that Chris Roberts may contact me???

Thanks for your help.
    Mark Scragg
    Tauranga
    New Zealand

Thanks

Default RNZAF Sgt R.A. Scragg NZ/401413

Hi Mark,

I've been communicating with John, Reubens brother for a few years, good to hear from you. I'll send you my contact details by private message.

Regards

Chris