Thread: Sgt.Reginald Arthur Tilbury-KIA May 28,1943

Thanks

Default Sgt.Reginald Arthur Tilbury-KIA May 28,1943

Hi guys,

May 28,1943 a lancaster from 158 squadron crashed near my hometown Zwolle.All seven crewmembers were killed.From six of the seven men I know where they came from so I have a starting point to search for more info on them.
    From one of the seven men I don't know where he came from.No info at the CWGC site.
    Could somebody possible tell me more about Sgt.Reginald Arthur Tilbury?Service No.1337416.

Thank you.

regards Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike,

158 Sqn were flying Halifaxs by that stage of the war, Halifax HR775 NP-V was shot down by Lt Hans-Heine Augustein of III./NJG1. Sgt R A Tilbury 1337416 is buried in Raalte General Cemetery Grave 17 as are the rest of the crew.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Mike,

Reginald Arthur Tilbury is shown on the war memorial of Bishops Waltham, Hampshire.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Hampshire/BishopsWaltham.html

The is a Reginald A Tilbury who's birth was registered in Q2 1919 in Droxford, mothers maiden surname was Tilbury also. As Bishops Waltham is less than 5 miles from Droxford I think is most likely that this is your man also.

Regards
    Martyn A Critchlow

Thanks

I was looking at that man just now also, there were other Tilbury's born around that time, their mothers surname being Sparkman, I wonder if Reginald's birth register is in error for the mothers name, that said I can't find a Tilbury - Sparkman marriage to match!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default trying to obtain service record of Sgt.Tilbury

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your responds.Seems like a challenge to find out more about him.What I could do is trying to obtain (a part of) his service record.
    I read with interest a thread some time ago about obtaining a service record.It seems that it is possible to obtain a transcript of a service record without a next of kin consent.Fee is 30 pounds.Has anyone new experience with that since the thread(which was I think back in april).The first step is to write a letter to RAF Cranwell in Sleaford with your request?Or do you have to send the money with it right away.
    I am also curious about the respond some guys got after their aply for up to ten records.I also could use service records of more airmen to find out more about them.

kind regards

Mike

Thanks

Default sgt.tilbury

Hi,i came across this by chance whilst looking through records and researching my family tree,it happens that my grandmothers maiden name was florence tilbury and as far as i know her parents never married but had several children together,her mother was a sparkman so this might be why you cant trace him,hope this helps.

ian pollard.

Thanks

Mike,
    Can't understand how i missed this one first time around. I have a copy of the 158sqdn ORB for the period concerned, if you want any info on previous ops to this crew.
    Alan.