Thread: Polish Air Force Cross

Thanks

Default Polish Air Force Cross

I am trying to find out more about Edward Sanetra, P782765, who was awarded the AFC. I believe only 18 Poles received the AFC. However, I can find no mention either under name or service number of Mr Sanetra in the London Gazette website. Were Polish gallantry awards not gazetted?

Thanks

Exiled European awards tended not to be LGd to protect their families etc.

This was in

http://www.eastlothianatwar.co.uk/polisharmy.html

"Mr. Edward Sanetra was one of the Polish airmen who flew from East Fortune, as a test pilot for No. 289 Squadron, an anti-aircraft co-operation unit. Mr. Sanetra, a Sergeant in the R.A.F., received the Air Force Cross and was mentioned in dispatches as well as receiving special honour from Poland, in recognition of his wartime service."

But surely if he was a Sergeant then it would have been the Air Force Medal, not the Cross

A

Thanks

Amrit,

Thanks for this, but I think this information is incorrect. No. 289 Squadron was never based at East Fortune, nor ever had a detachment there.

I know Edward Sanetra was in No 307 Squadron, but I can find no reference to him in the two volume history of the Polish Air Force. I can confirm that it was definitely the AFC he was awarded - I visited his daughter yesterday and saw it myself. However, he was a Warrant Officer at the time of the award which was presented to him by Air Commodore F.N. Webster, AOC No 18 Group (according to an undated cutting from the local paper).

Is there any way of obtaining more information about his award, or would this require a visit to The National Archives?

Thanks

Ian
    You may try Polish Institute & Sikorski Museum or MoD as well. Sanetra indeed served on 307 Sqn in the early period, and presumably at some moment was found unfit for operational flying. PISM should be able to provide you with his personal record. MoD could be helpful if only willing to do so, they usually charge family 30GBP per file.

Thanks

Amrit/Ian

The AFC/AFM rank criteria was not the same as the DFC/DFM.

http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/4145.aspx

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

it was only in 1993 that the rank distinction was removed, and the AFC was made available to all ranks (and the AFM was no longer awarded at all). The same happened with the DFC/DFM.

During WW2 the rank distinctions were the same as the DFC/DFM

A

Thanks

Quite right Amrit,

My mistake I was under the impression that the AFC was awarded to Warrant and Commissioned officers with DFC to Commissioned only hence his award of AFC being correct.

On checking I see that the DFC was the same for Warrant and Commissioned.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the information, chaps. It's much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Ian,

have you an idea when he got the AFC?
    I have checked just in quick the TNA file AIR 02/6154 - British awards to Polish but no referece to Sanetra.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz