Thread: 50 sqn 9th Mar 43

Thanks

Default 50 sqn 9th Mar 43

Hi

Found the below on Bosleys.co.uk , an auction site. My question is; does anyone have the 50 sqn orb for the 9th March 43 as I cannot find an op to St Nazaire on that date. Also which aircraft was this crewman on that night?

Thanks in advance Peter

641 RAF 50 Squadron 1943 Casualty Group.
    Awarded to 1162200 Sergeant Albert Warren Berry an Air Gunner. Comprising: 1939/45 Star, Air Crew Europe Star, War Medal complete with forwarding condolence slip “Sergeant A.W. Berry”. With a quantity of research GC. (£200 - £300)
    Sergeant Albert Warren Berry was posted to 50 Squadron operating the Lancaster Bombers in March 1943 flying his first op to St Nazaire on the 9th. He was lost on operations his 7th on the 16th April 1943 the target being the Pilsen-Skoda Works. Sgt Berry came from Newport.

Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter
    I don't know what information would be available as "provenance" for an Auction lot and I haven't seen the ORB but the main target for 9/10 Mar was Munich according to Middleton and Everitt "Bomber Command War Diaries". They point out that there was also minelaying that night but place it off Kiel and the Friesian IS.The following night there was again minelaying and some of it was off the French Atlantic Coast. The codename for Minelaying was "Gardening" and the area off St Nazaire was coded "Beech". Gardening would have been a reasonable "first" op for a new crew. For your purposes the date is slightly out. Berry and his crew were shot down by a nightfighter near Namur(from Chorley-Bomber Command Losses Vol 4) and the a/c sank in marshy ground and fell into old mine workings hence the bodies of the crew were never recovered and they are commemorated at Runnymede.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default 50 Sqn

Hello Peter & Dick

The Lancaster ED800 VN-O crashed on 16/17 April 1943 at Yves-Gomezee - Belgium.

There was a little history book that was produced some year ago regarding the crew , also containing photos of the crew. The ops was Pilzen and at the last pages all the aircraft lost during the ops. The booklet is written in French.

Best regards

Rene

Thanks

Default French booklet re ED800

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Romainville View Post
    Hello Peter & Dick

The Lancaster ED800 VN-O crashed on 16/17 April 1943 at Yves-Gomezee - Belgium.

There was a little history book that was produced some year ago regarding the crew , also containing photos of the crew. The ops was Pilzen and at the last pages all the aircraft lost during the ops. The booklet is written in French.

Best regards

Rene

Thanks to all,

Rene, could you please tell me the name of the booklet and the publishers name. I have recently published my book A shaky do-the Skoda works raid April 16/17th 1943 which also covers the crash of ED800 but I am always on the look out for further info.
    Thanks, Peter

Thanks

Default Lancaster ED800

Hello Peter,

The booklet was produced in 1993 by the Association who does keep the memory of the crew. I will call a friend next week to see if there is any booklet left if not you can provide me with your home address and I will send it to you , you make a copy and return.

Best regards

Rene

Thanks

Default French booklet ED800

Thanks Rene,

I would greatly appreciate you sending me a copy of the booklet if possible. I will of course send to you the Euros for all postage and other expenses.

I will send you my address by private mail

Grand merci
    Peter