Thread: Sgt F.A McClellan RCAF later Lt McClellan DFC USAAF

Thanks

Default Sgt F.A McClellan RCAF later Lt McClellan DFC USAAF

Hi All,
    Question for the experts. Following on from my previous thread regarding the above airman I would ask the following. Because he served in RCAF and did operations over Europe would he be entitled to the following campaign medals?
    1939-1945 Star.
    Africa Star
    Air Crew Europe Star
    Defence Medal.
    He certainly met the qualifying criteria for above but because he transferred to the USAAF in 1943 would this affect award of these campaign medals.
    He flew on missions over Europe whilst with 21OTU and then flew Wellington HX676 with 1446 Ferry Flight from Morton in Marsh to M.E. Bailed out over Chad (Caterpillar Club Member) was then with 70Sqd RAF for short period before joining USAAF in early 1943.
    His DFC was awarded for action in Messina Raid in May 1943 with USAAF and announced in October of 1943.
    Would be interested in forum members comments as this would be a very interesting medal array if eligable for the above along with those received for seving with USAAF.
    Hope the experts in the forum can help. This man is still alive and well at 97 years of age, driving his vehicle and splitting firewood!!!.
    Look forward to members comments.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

I think he would eligible, if he met the criteria.

In my edition of Bomber Barons there is a picture of Maj 'Nick' Knilans DSO, DFC. He is pictured after transferring to the USAF, and is wearing UK campaign ribbons on his uniform.

Would he not also be eligible for the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal?

Thanks

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for your reply which seems to confirm my own thoughts and yes you are probably right regarding the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal.
    Many thanks.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.