Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runnymede Memorial What if casualties found ?

Thanks

Default Runnymede Memorial What if casualties found ?

When a casualty from the war is found and has been named on a memorial to the missing.What chain of events is set off. Does the C.W.G.C change it,s records are the names changed on the memorial. Lets say theoretically that all Aircrew were found and accounted for what would happen to the Runnymede Memorial ?

Thanks

Something I've often wondered about .It would damage the memorials such as Runnymede & Malta if names were deleted .And missing airmen have been found in the last few decades.

Anne

Thanks

My uncle went missing in 1944 and in 1997 his remains were found. His name is still on the memorial but I believe that if at some time in the future the panel need to be replaced, for whatever reason, then it may be removed.

Thanks

Hi Bob regarding your Uncle did the war graves commission change their database from Runnymede to his new place of commemoration.

Thanks

I visited several American cemeteries in Europe and on every cemetery you have a wall of missing.When the remains are found of a soldier who is mentioned at the wall of missing there is a rosette placed before his name.
    So without damage the wall of missing people can see that a particular soldier is no longer missing in action.

regards

Mike

Thanks

Mike
    What a lovely thing to do .I have also heard that the Americans will put effort into searching for their missing WW2 servicemen & women.

Anne

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halewood View Post
    Hi Bob regarding your Uncle did the war graves commission change their database from Runnymede to his new place of commemoration.
    Yes they did.

Part of the story re his loss and the subsequent finding and recovery may be found at

www.161squadron.org

Thanks

The CWGC are meticulous about their records, I visited the grave of 161 Squadron's Flight Lieut Alfie Prior DFM & crew and noted that Prior's DFM (awarded about 2 years before his death) was not engraved after his name.

I queried this with them, providing a copy of the London Gazette announcement of the award and 18 months later received a series of photos "before, during and after" showing a craftsman engraving DFM on the headstone.

An organization worthy of much respect.

Thanks

Pete i totally agree a very worthwhile organization. I wonder though how many of the servicemen actually have a named headstone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halewood View Post
    When a casualty from the war is found and has been named on a memorial to the missing.What chain of events is set off. Does the C.W.G.C change it,s records are the names changed on the memorial. Lets say theoretically that all Aircrew were found and accounted for what would happen to the Runnymede Memorial ?

"What happens to an airman's name who is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial if his remains are subsequently discovered"

I telephoned the CWGC at Maidenhead today to ask them the above question

The definitive answer is that the name would be removed as soon as possible, not waiting for a general overhaul of the Panel or Memorial. The section bearing the name would be cut out as a small block and a corresponding blank block put in its place. This is also the method used if the name or date is incorrect, no matter the position of the name on the panel. It is the CWGC policy to commemorate a person only once. The discovered airman would then have a known grave, whether the CWGC would have any input on the 'reburial' would depend on the deceased family, if they could be traced, if so, the family may wish for a private burial in which case the CWGC would have no input, but if the CWGC were to be involved then they would make all arrangements for the reburial and erect a regulation head stone.

Regards

Peter
    Last edited by peter; 29th June 2009 at 22:50.