Thread: 346 Squadron ORB

Thanks

Default 346 Squadron ORB

I am wondering whether any kind soul out there has access to the ORB for 346 Squadron at Elvington from the period of May to end of September 1944? I am trying to help someone on another forum obtain information on her Great-Uncle Sergeant Chef Biaggi who died when the Halifax he was rear gunner of was destroyed on return from the Le Havre area on September 10th 1944. Apparently, the aircraft was destroyed when a 1,000lb bomb which had failed to release fell out of the aircraft and detonated.

As always, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Thanks

Hello Kevin,
    Chorley Vol.5 page 411:
    Took off Elvington 1448 to attack enemy fortifications near Octeville (Le Havre). Only the pilot Ltc G. VENOT survived the accident injured. Killed were on Halifax NA585 (coded H7-M):
    Sgtc (Flt Eng) Wilson FINALE;
    Lt (Nav) Robert GUILLOCHEAU;
    Adj (Bombaimer) Jules KIPPERLE;
    Sgt (WOp) Gabiel LHOMOND;
    Sgtc (Airgunner) Marcel COUPEAU, and
    Sgtc Dominique BIAGGI.
    The crew who were killed were initially buried 14-9-1944 Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery, Yorkshire, exhumed and reinterred in their homeland (permanent burial locations not known "but interested in"!).
    They all survived an accident 12/13-6-1944 on Halifax LK955 (battle damaged bomber crashlanded on Carnaby airfield on return from a mission to Rouen).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk.

Thanks for that. I already had that information but was hoping to get information on other operations Sergeant Chef Biaggi flew on.

I have a full set of Chorley. Amaxing resource isn't it?

Thanks again.

regards,

Kevin Mears