Thread: The Longest Day

Thanks

Default The Longest Day

Bit of a lightheatred question I just received a copy of this great film and as I was watching it I began to wonder about a couple of the scenes with aircraft in them. The two Luftwaffe pilots ,are they flying accurate period aircraft or ones that are supposed to look like ME109's and the scene where allied aircraft (4) fly line abreast over the invasion beach I don't recognize the type. They look a lot like American A1 Skyraiders to me but they were not flying in 1943. Thanks

Thanks

From memory, didn't they use Bf108s for the Luftwaffe aircraft in those scenes?

Bruce

Thanks

Hi
    The answer to your first question is -Both!! The a/c, from my childhood aircraft recognition days were, as Bruce says, Bf108s which were contemporary with the 109s they were imitating and I don't think it was a type that continued in production with any of the victors after the war,unlike some others. I am sure you are right about the Skyraiders which appear briefly on what was clearly library footage inserted into the film. I would need to look at books again but from memory there was no Aircraft Carrier participation in the D-Day operations, the bulk of that was concentrated in the Pacific. The allies relied on construction of airstrips behind the advancing armies and moving air support up just behind the advancing invasion force,which is what they did in practice
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

They also used a couple of Lancaster (!!) models as glider tugs.