Thread: Looking to Make Sense of Allied Air Force(s) German PoW Numbers

Thanks

Default Looking to Make Sense of Allied Air Force(s) German PoW Numbers

Dear All Experts,
    I'm trying to see if there is any pattern(s) to the German PoW number allocation system for captured Allied airmen. I am specifically interested in one Camp (L3), and in a block of allocated numbers in that Camp between 640 - 660. I don't want - at this stage to disclose my specific target for fear of possibly 'statistically skewing' any responses.
    I have extracted Ross' PoW List on the Old Board on to a spreadsheet. Those L3 inhabitants I have ordered by PoW Number.
    The first thing that becomes obvious is that there are many duplications within that 20 number block (I can list those - but, at this stage, it would seem not necessary). Duplications, pse note, not triplications, and there are 8 singletons. So some sort of pattern is beginning to emerge.
    What is it? I think I have served a long enough apprenticeship on this Forum to be allowed entry into The Secret Society that knows all the answers. Furthermore, I am missing the dates of about 50% of when the individuals in that block were taken into captivity. I may ask if anybody knows these in order to try to see if any other pattern(s) emerge. But only if The Experts can assure me that I am not chasing the wrong Wild Goose up the wrong Gum Tree!!
    It's strange what the elderly get up to whilst waiting for a thunderstorm to water the garden!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 26th June 2009 at 15:25.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

You are looking at a point in time Peter rather than the system.

Each PoW camp issued it's own number sequence so you can have several PoW Number XXX.

Periodic purges moved men from camp to camp. On arrival they were either issued with a new number from the sequence that had been freed up or, if not currently in use, allowed to use their previous number.

No use trying to discern order as there was none.

We've discussed PoW numbers on the forum before so a search may bring up the previous posts.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,
    Mni tks yr response. I had hoped to be able to find that the 3, or 4, RCAF blokes in that block had been treated differently to the RAF blokes by comparing their 'capture dates'. No such luck - oh well, it was worth a try.
    Tks again,
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Only route I can suggest is to look at their dates of entry/leaving the Dulag.

Given the same medical status crews tended to be brought in and leave as a batch.

If it was thought that they had information then the release date to Stalag Luft would be delayed.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.