Thread: S/Ldr E.D. Elliott C/O 253 Squadron POW 23/5/40

Thanks

Default S/Ldr E.D. Elliott C/O 253 Squadron POW 23/5/40

Hi guys

More information required on S/Ldr Elliott, please.

I have read that he opted out of the war by landing his Hurricane in France on 21 May 1940 (sorry, not 23 May); that he admitted this to fellow POWs; that he 'colluded' with his captors; that he was investigated on his return to the UK - and charged.

Who knows more? Who knows the truth?

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by brian; 26th June 2009 at 17:12.

Thanks

If he did, and there was an investigation, then he must have been found not guilty because he didn't retire until 1955, at th erank of Group Captain

Retirement.
    Wing Commander E. 'D. ELLIOTT (24205), retaining the rank of Group Captain-. 1st Dec. 1955.

A

Thanks

Hello,

I have the PoW questionnaire of Eric Douglas ELLIOTT, 24205, WO344/101/2 in TNA. He wrote that he was captured near Arras on 21st May 1940, and that he was burnt. He arrived in Dulag Luft in October 1940 only, after having spent 4 months in a hospital in Hirson (Aisne, France).

In April 1946, there was an exchange of minute, one suggesting he might be recommended for an award because of his conduct in the German Camps, when he "communicated on numerous occasions with the War Office by secret means". And another dated 26th April says he was "the subject of certain enquiries concerning his conduct when a prisoner of war". These minutes (4 pages) were added to the normal 3 pages PoW questionnaire.

Sorry I can't tell you more.

Joss

Thanks

Default S/Ldr Eric Elliott

Hi Joss

I intend to have a look at his questionaire when I next visit the NA, but does it mention that he was shot down on 21 May? If so, by what.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks

hello,

No, the questionnaire has "date of capture". Sometimes, when there's a long delay between the date of capture and when the plane was shot down, the airman adds this information by himself. No detail about the circumstances of the loss either.

Joss

Thanks

Brian,

Am I stating the obvious?

Tuesday, May 21. (1940)
    British Air Forces in France - RAF Fighter Command.

A Flight, 253 Squadron, Hawkinge.
    Patrol Arras-Lens:

Hurricane P3552. Believed shot down by a Bf110 of II./ZG76 near Etaples 7.30 p.m.
    Squadron Leader E.D.Elliott captured. Aircraft a write off.

See:
    The Battle of France Then and Now.
    Cornwell,Peter.
    Old Harrow:B of B Inter. Ltd.,2007
    p.339.

Thus confirming the detail in:-

Twelve Days in May
    Cull,Brian & Bruce Lander (with Heinrich Weiss)
    London:Grub Street,1995.
    pp.301-2

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th June 2009 at 09:20. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

From Google Books.....

"Trial of Erich Killinger, Heinz Junge, Otto Boehringer, Heinrich Eberhardt ...‎ - Page 183
    by Erich Killinger, Eric Cuddon, Great Britain. Army. Military Court (Killinger : 1945), Great Britain . Army Military Court Killinger, Great Britain. Army. Military Court - History - 1952 - 255 pages

Book overview
    Trial held Nov. 26-Dec. 3, 1945 at Wuppertal before a British Military Court for the trial of war ciminals for ill-treatment of British prisoners of war at Dulag Luft.

"Sworn by the above-named Eric Douglas Elliot at 6 Spring Gardens, in the City
    of Westminster, this 19th day of November, 1945- Before me CJ Rickard, Major RAOC 426 Medium Battery RA" "I, Douglas Robert
    Stewart Bader, DSO, DFC, Group Captain in the RAF, at present stationed at North Weald in
    the County of Essex, make oath and say as follows : — " 1. "

Thanks

Hi guys

Thanks for the input - seems that I was about to make a misjudgement! Never believe what you read!!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

BTW Brian... Where did you read this story?

Thanks

Hi Paul

Not from one specific source although a recent POW tome did imply not all was well. I'll see if I can find the book or locate the title. Perhaps the authors of these suggestions misunderstood his intentions?