Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RNZAF pilot Squadron Leader W.R. KOEFED

Thanks

Default RNZAF pilot Squadron Leader W.R. KOEFED

Hello Errol and fellow Kiwi experts,

I am seeking information about Squadron Leader W.R. KOEFED (sp) who I think may have come from New Zealand. He once served on 76 Sqn. Middleton-St George and later at 1663 Conversion Unit Rufforth where during 1944 he trained the Station Commander of Holme-on-Spalding, Gp Capt Pelley-Fry to fly the Halifax III. I have taken the spelling of 'Koefed' from Bill Chorleys book 'To See The Dawn Breaking' but not certain that this is correct. Any help with his biography, no matter how small will be gratefully received. Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 1st July 2009 at 16:57. Reason: adding '1944'

Thanks

Until Errol can get back to you

William Robert KOFOED DSO DFC NZ404380

Received both the DFC and DSO with 462 Squadron in 1943

A

Thanks

Default RNZAF pilot Squadron Leader W.R. KOEFED

Hi,

The name KOFOED can be related to the Danish Isle of Bornholm in the Baltic Sea. All Kofoed's are coming from there. So probably of Danish roots.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

The Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph database file:
    http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/RecordDetail.aspx?OriginalID=36562&SearchID=758935 6&Ordinal=1

About the Danish connection, I am convinced Finn is right but it may go very far back in history.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Norman,

From Colin Hanson's 'By Such Deeds - Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1923-1999':

KOFOED, Wing Commander William Robert, DSO, DFC, AE*. NZ404380 & 130117; Born Outram, Otago, 28 Dec 1915; RNZAF 24 Nov 1940 to 7 Dec 1945, TAF 1 Dec 1948 to 1 Dec 1950, Res. to 28 Dec 1970; Pilot.
    Hon Aide-de-Camp to HE Governor-General 1 Apr 1947 to 31 Mar 1948 & 1 Apr 1949 to 31 Mar 1950.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (13 Feb 1943): [76 Sqn RAF & 462 Sqn RAAF (both Halifax)] Flight Lieutenant Kofoed has displayed the highest qualities of leadership and courage in the face of the enemy. His numerous operational sorties include raids on some of the most heavily defended targets. While serving in the United Kingdom he participated in two daylight raids on the German warships at Brest. In April, 1942, he took part in two attacks on the enemy naval base at Trondheim completing his mission from a very low level in the face of the most intense anti-aircraft fire. In the Middle East he has continued to exhibit this high standard of gallantry and devotion to duty, which have been an inspiration to the squadron.
    Citation Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (15 Oct 1943): [462 Sqn RAAF (Halifax)] Acting Squadron Leader Kofoed has already completed a tour of operations against objectives in Europe and the Middle East. During his second tour of duty, he has attacked such targets as Palermo and Catania and has taken part in flights over the battle areas in the Tunisian campaign. On one sortie over Palermo, a photo-flash exploded in the fuselage of his aircraft which was badly damaged. By superb handling, however, Squadron Leader Kofoed flew his aircraft safely to base - a flight of 8 hours duration. His determination in identifying and attacking the selected targets even in poor visibility and in the face of intense opposition has been inspiring to the crews of the squadron.
    Air Efficiency Award - 1 Dec 1953, 1st Clasp - 2 Aug 1960.
    Airman Pilot u/t Kofoed commenced his flying training at RNZAF Taieri on 23 Dec 1940. Just under four years later, on 6 Nov 1944, Wg Cdr Kofoed, DSO, DFC, returned to Taieri as Station Commander. He flew a total of 67 sorties with 76 and 462 Sqns and also served on Bougainville in 1945 as CO Field HQ Piva. CO 4 (Otago) Sqn TAF, Dec 1948-Dec 1950. Died Dunedin, 19 Aug 1978.

Errol

Thanks

Thank you all for your kind assistance
    Norman

Thanks

Norman,
    Wing Commander Kofoed undertake the delivery flight of the last Zero fighter on Bougainville, from Kara airstrip to Piva on 15th September 1945. He did this in his capacity of Officer Commanding, Field HQ, Piva, when it was found that there was no way that this aircraft could be moved by surface means from the Japanese area in southern Bougainville to the Allied area on the west coast in the Empress Augusta Bay perimeter. He apparently absented himself from duty, hitched a ride in an RAAF Wirraway to Kara, requested the Japanese prepare this aircraft for flight, then flew the aircraft to Piva in about 20 minutes with the u/c locked down. He apparently did not want the Zero to be abandoned, and felt he could not order a subordinate to carry out this task on en ex enemy aircraft with no guarantee as to its airworthiness, and no real military need for such a flight that could be justified, so took it upon himself. This is the same aircraft still on display at the Auckland War Memorial Museum (although I think this Museum's name has been changed somewhat in recent years). I attempted to contact ex W/C Kofoed in the 1980s, but he had just recently died, although his wife kindly agreed to copy out some notes from his logbook for me.
    David D

Thanks

David,
    Thank you for the information. It was most interesting. Do you have any photographs of him?
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 3rd July 2009 at 10:16.

Thanks

Norman,

His photo appears twice in the illustrated pages of the NZ publication 'The Weekly News'.

14 Apr 43 page 19
    24 Nov 43 page 20

Both the same photo but the 24 Nov 43 is cropped, so better to go for the the 14 Apr 43 one.

A scan is available via the RNZAF Museum info@airforcemuseum.co.nz
    Might be worth checking to see if they have any other, better, photos of him as well.

Errol

Thanks

Default Question for Errol

Thank you Errol,

Are they the same photographs (oxygen mask hanging beneath chin) as displayed in the Australian National Archive picture base ? I found the picture following Mikkels header in post 4 which led me on to Canberra then on seeing 462 Sqn led me to a photo.

I will contact the RNZAF museum as suggested.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 3rd July 2009 at 13:11. Reason: correcting my source of Kofoed photograph plus extra info