Thread: RCAF pilot J9142 S/Ldr Robert George ‘Bob’ WEST

Thanks

Default RCAF pilot J9142 S/Ldr Robert George ‘Bob’ WEST

I am seeking information and possible photograph of J9142 Squadron Leader 'Bob' Robert George West RCAF who I beleive hallowed from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan . In early 1944 he served on 76 Sqn as "A" Flight Commander having previously served as a flying instructor on 1663 Conversion Unit at Rafforth. On 23 June 1944 he lost his life over Northern France in Halifax LW620 MP-G. Any help with his biography, no matter how small will be gratefully received. Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 3rd July 2009 at 13:13. Reason: additional information

Thanks

There is a picture of his grave at: http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/photos&casualty=2624254 and there is also a page with information on the crew at: http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/WWIInot/SurnamesC.htm
    Regards
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Hi Norman,

I have searched for West in ancestry.ca and there appears to be no record of his death, which is unusual, unless it's because he was from Saskatchewan. Most war casualty deaths were registered in Canada but perhaps not in Saskatchewan?

I'm sure more details will be in his file from the LA&C in Ottawa but it will take quite a while to get it, as you know.
    David

Thanks

Default RCAF pilot J 9142 S/Ldr Robert George 'Bob' West: Halifax LW620 MP-G

Norman,

I may be able to help you with your search for a photo of Sq/Ldr. Robert George ‘Bob’ West J/9142 RCAF who was the pilot of Halifax III LW620 MP-G which crashed on the 23 June, 1944at Hotham landing out field close to the 76 Squadron base at Holme-upon-Spalding Moor.
    I have been researching the pilot and aircrew of LW620 and hope to document them in some detail.

My uncle, Air/Bmr. Fl/Sgt. James Johnson 1556755 RAFVR (the spelling of his surname with the addition of a ‘t’ is incorrect as published in ‘TO SEE THE DAWN BREAKING’) was one of the aircrew who died returning from the sortie at Laon on LW620.
    Recently, I visited the grave of Air/Gnr. Fl/Sgt. Thomas Glen 639111 RAF in the churchyard of St. Leonards, Heston and decided to trace an obituary notice for him in the archives of Housnlow Library. I found a column entry for him in The Middlesex Chronicle of July 1, 1944 which was very informative. He was married in 1943 to a local Heston girl and was born in Bridge of Allan, Scotland. There is much detailed information about his education, career, hobbies and family. His father is described as a parks superintendent of Castle House, Dunoon, Argyleshire. As fellow Scots, I am sure that he and my uncle would have been friendly.

Have you been able to acquire a photo or obtain any additional information on ‘Bob’West?
    I would suggest contacting the Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan library who may be able to help through their local history archives, The Moose Jaw Army, Navy and Air Force Veterans or perhaps by checking the archives of the local Moose Jaw Times Herald for any related editorial or obituaries of the period.
    It is worth remembering that in the USA the term ‘Necrology’ is used rather than ‘Obituary’ although Canadians seem to prefer the use of ‘Obituary’.

The navigator on LW620 was another Canadian Fl/Lt. Peter Scott Milliken J/10425 RCAF who may have had an obituary notice published in his home town of Sinclair, Manitoba.

I recently found a b/w professional portrait photograph of my uncle and two other aircrew in RAF uniform which had been removed from his personal photo album. From memory the photos contained in the album were mostly of cities in Canada (he trained in Hamilton, Ontario) and air-to-air photos probably taken with a camera gun (crosshairs on the photos) of training aircraft in formation. The photo album may be in the care of my younger brother who, incidentally, also served the RAF being based at Akrotiri then Gütersloh. I will try to locate it. The two other aircrew shown in the photo have the physical looks of North Americans and are perhaps West and Milliken. I can try to identify their insignia which could help. I can scan the photo and forward you a copy.

My late father, John Johnson was enlisted into the RAF during WW2 serving as a LAC W/Op. He was stationed throughout the Middle East and accumulated many hours flying duties in Ansons, Wimpeys, captured Junkers 52’s (HK919, HK920) and the three engine transport Savoia-Marchetti SM.81.
    Yes, I have photos and his log book.

James Johnson

Thanks

Default 76 Sqn - S/Ldr Robert George West RCAF

Thank you all for the great help with my enquiry. I have now ordered the service record file of Robert West from Ottawa and look forward to receiving and reading it.

To you all including more recently James, I apologise for the late acknowledgement but must confess, I hadnt spotted them. James, thank you for taking the trouble to draw my attention to the replies by emailing me and thank you for including the excellent photographs of RG West, that was most kind of you, thank you.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 30th June 2011 at 21:43.

Thanks

According to the book "Age Shall Not Weary Them (Saskatchewan Remembers its War Dead)", S/L R.G. WEST (J/9142) was from Moose Jaw, SK and F/L P.S. MILLIKEN (J/10425) was from Saskatoon, SK.

Regards,
    Christian

Thanks

Default F/L Peter Scott MILLIKEN (J/10425) RCAF & photos of Halifax crew LW620 76 Squadron

Christian,

Some additional information upon F/L Peter Scott MILLIKEN (J/10425) RCAF.

He was born in Sinclair, Manitoba and educated there and later at Saskatoon Tech. He enlisted in Saskatoon while working for the McGlocklin realty company. After his demise his parents returned to Brandon, Manitoba.
    I suggested looking for his obituary in his town of birth. It is possible that obituaries or death notices may be found in newspapers from Sinclair, Brandon and Saskatoon, if not Canadian national newspapers. I wonder the realty company where he worked published an account of his life.

I have gone through my late uncle's photographs and I am now certain that I have a group photograph of the Halifax crew of LW620 MP-G, excluding my uncle 'Jimmy' Johnson, taken at the wedding of Thomas Glen at Heston, Middx. during 1943. I have three other photos: one of my uncle, one of 'Les' Barnard and a group entitled 'Jock' , 'Les' and 'Jimmy'. I suspect ' Jock' is Wilfred Jim Lowe.
    I assume these last three photos were taken at Holme-on- Spalding Moor.

I shall scan them. Should anyone be interested having copies please contact me. I also have some photos taken at Turner Field, Albany, Georgia (1942?) and a group shot of Course 65, 33 ANS bomb aimers at Hamilton, Ontario dated November 1942.

James Johnson
    James Johnson
    oldpewter@yahoo.com

Thanks

I'm working some more on my family tree and I'd really be interested in the wedding of Thomas Glen. He was the first husband of my paternal grandfather's sister, Eleanor. Just by way of an update about her, she sadly passed away in 2003 and is buried in the same plot at St. Leonard's Church in Heston. Also in the plot is her father who died in 1957. I'd be interested in any information about that particular branch of the family as well as there was a son, also called Thomas, who is my godfather. Not sure why but contact seem to drift between my father and them.

Many thanks for any help and assistance.

David

Quote Originally Posted by oldpewter View Post
    Christian,

Some additional information upon F/L Peter Scott MILLIKEN (J/10425) RCAF.

I have gone through my late uncle's photographs and I am now certain that I have a group photograph of the Halifax crew of LW620 MP-G, excluding my uncle 'Jimmy' Johnson, taken at the wedding of Thomas Glen at Heston, Middx. during 1943. I have three other photos: one of my uncle, one of 'Les' Barnard and a group entitled 'Jock' , 'Les' and 'Jimmy'. I suspect ' Jock' is Wilfred Jim Lowe.
    I assume these last three photos were taken at Holme-on- Spalding Moor.

I shall scan them. Should anyone be interested having copies please contact me. I also have some photos taken at Turner Field, Albany, Georgia (1942?) and a group shot of Course 65, 33 ANS bomb aimers at Hamilton, Ontario dated November 1942.

James Johnson