Thread: Mosquito TE872

Thanks

Default Mosquito TE872

Could anyone please give me any information on the above aircraft which was lost while with No. 1 Ferry Unit, Pershore on 14th Jan. 1948? Any info re its last flight would be especially welcome but anything at all much appreciated!!

Thanks

From Cummings Final Landings

The pilot feathered the port engine but because he used the incorrect procedure to unfeather it, the propeller overspeeded and so the propeller was feathered again. An emergency landing was attempted but on final approach, the port wing struck a tree and the aircraft crashed. Although a passenger; AC1 S M Griffiths was injured, the pilot F/O Geoffrey Burgess was killed.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

From a google search:
    http://www.couplandbell.com/marg/crashes1946-49.htm
    14/01/1948 Mosquito TE872 of 1 Ferry Unit crashed on emergency approach to Pershore. Pilot F/O Burgess was killed and Ac1 Griffiths was injured.

www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/
    Surname
    BURGESS
    Forenames/Initials
    GEOFFREY
    Rank
    Fg Off
    Service
    Royal Air Force
    Service Number
    Station
    RAF Pershore
    Place of Birth/Home Town
    BOLLINGTON, CHESHIRE
    Date of Birth
    22 October 1922
    Date of Death
    14 January 1948
    Cemetery Name
    STOCKPORT BOROUGH CREMATORIUM
    Cemetery Address
    BUXTON ROAD
    STOCKPORT
    Included on Armed Forces Memorial
    Yes
    Included on Roll of Honour
    Yes
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

'Afternoon All,

I am the son of F/O Geoffrey Burgess deceased. I recently posted a thread on the PPRuNe forums asking if anyone out there remembered my father who was killed in Mosquito TE872.

A respondent on that site advised me that I should look at this site (amongst others) and ask the same question of your viewers and members, today I did just that and was stunned to see that Mosquito TE872 was the 4th thread on the page!

I was only 4 months old at the time of his death - so I have no memory of him at all, so I repeat my request to anyone out there who remembers him - please get in touch.

To help jog the memory:

He joined the RAF in 1938, Cranwell as a boy (Were they called Brats?)
    1940-42 No. 1.O.T.U. Silloth
    1942 3 E.F.T.S. Shellingford
    1943 5 B.F.T.S. Clewiston FL. USA
    1943 6(P).A.F.U. Little Rissington
    1944 21 F.C. Mauripur Karachi
    1944-45 229 Group Comm. Flight Delhi India
    1945 232 SQDN Palam Delhi India
    1946 16 F.U. Dunkeswell (later at St Mawgan)
    1946 1 F.U. Pershore

I corresponded with Mr Griffiths (who survived the crash) from 1991 until his death last year and while his account was most valuable to me - he couldn't tell me much about my dad as he had only met him that morning.

Your Dublin member posted accurate details in this thread, I can only add that it was my father's wish to have no memorial - I believe that his ashes were scattered over Pershore airfield from an aircraft by one of his brother officers - however my dad's name is now on the wall at The National Memorial Arboretum in Staffs.

Ross McNeill gives the cause of the crash quoting Cummings Final Landings. This gave me quite a jolt, as neither I, nor my mother (who blessedly is still around) were aware of the details. The RAF was not very forthcoming at the time. I would like to know where Mr Cummings obtained those facts from - is he still around? Can anyone tell me, or do I have to go and buy the book!

My thanks to all who read this post - just maybe, we can find someone who knew my dad.

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Colin Cummings book is sadly out of print but he is about to release a compliation of this and his other volumes.

His contact details for ordering all his publications are:

Nimbus Publishing
    October House
    Yelvertoft
    Northampton
    NN6 6LF

The entry quoted is verbatum from his publication and is an amagamation of several records that have been released into the public domain since the 50s.

At the RAF Museum, Hendon is the Department of Research and Information Services (DoRIS). This holds the RAF Form 1180 Accident card for the aircraft. A small two sided A5 card that gives crew, aircraft and weather details. It also summarises the findings of the Court of Inquiry and gives recommendations to prevent similar accidents happening.

At The National Archives, Kew, London is the unit Operational Record Book which can be considered the unit diary. This also gives some basic details. Not only the unit ORB is held here but the Station ORBs as well.

Finally Colin may have also had a serving officer/civil servant look at the documents not open to the public at the Air Historical Branch.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you so much Ross for those details - I will investigate accordingly. Meanwhile I live in hope that someone will emerge who can tell me more about the man behind the recorded facts. It may be too late in view of the time elapsed - I just wish that the wondrous power of what Clarkson calls "the interweb" had come to my attention earlier

Ian BB

Thanks

Default Missing Accident Card

As advised in this thread, I contacted DoRIS to request the F1180 for Mosquito TE872, 25 days later I received a photocopy of the relevant page in 'Final Landings' with a note that this was the only information they had.
    I emailed them to ask where the Accident Card was if they did not have it and was very promptly told:

"The information supplied to you is all we have in our collection with regards to TE872, there were no accident cards (F1180) available for that aircraft."

Is this unusual? Has anyone else come up against this? Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks Ian BB

Thanks

Before your question slips into the ether,

I would not consider this unusual. All they are saying is that they, the RAF Museum do not seem to have a copy among their records.

From my one day of viewing them, the Form 1180 are contained on microfilm cassettes and are ordered by Aircraft type and time period, so your fathers aircraft ought to be on a tape titled perhaps

Mosquito - 1948 Jan to Jun, if you get the idea.

it may just happen that your fathers card was missed back ever they were creating that microfilm, or it got mislayed back 1948.

Of the crashes we research in Ireland during the war, there are perhaps four aircraft whose cards are not held in the Hendon reels.

You might want to direct the query too the RAF Air Historical Branch, just be sure to tell them that Hendon can't supply/find the card.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/

http://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/contactus.cfm
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Re missing Accident Card

Thank you Dennis, I am relieved to to hear that in your experience this is not so unusual - I will take your advice and keep trying.

I have had great help from The No. 5BFTS Association in my quest to find out more about my late father, and have now spoken with one of the pilots who was on training course 12 with him at Riddle Field, Clewiston, Florida - they gained their wings there in May 1943. It was wonderful to hear his recollections of my dad first hand.

Having lived in Ireland for nearly 10 years now I was fascinated to read your 'Aircraft Landings Ireland 1939-1946' site - all credit to you!

Slan agus buiochas

Ian BB

Thanks

and lots of credit to the people who did the research before me and which I was able to pilfer/build on.

Glad to be of help.
    Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com