Thread: RCAF service records Ottawa

Thanks

Default RCAF service records Ottawa

Hello RCAF records experts,

I need to obtain 4 sets of available RCAF service records and applicable repatriation files from the LAC, Ottawa, Canada. Questions:

1) Is it advisable to order them seperately by name or altogether?
    2) What is the latest waiting time?
    3) Are the results available digitalised online like the Australian National Archives?

I have not used this service before and would value peoples comments/opinions. Thank you.

Norman

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Norman

1. I have asked for four at one time without a problem. You will need to fill in a form for each one though and it only applies to those killed during the war
    2. About 4 months when I got my last ones in May
    3. They are not digistised. They send you a package of documents without charge if you tick the 'geneology package' on the form

Despite the wait it's an excellent service. UK Govt please note!

You will get postings, sometimes accident reports and MRES reports if applicable and available. Details of Ops are not inluded - just the peronnel related issues

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Default RCAF Service Records

Hi Norman,

Best to order them all together.

The current waiting time is four months.

The results are not digitized. You will receive up to 25 photocopied pages free of charge, mailed to your address.

If you are looking for some specific that is not normally given in the "genie packages" it is best to ask them.

I am not sure what you mean by repatriation files however. The information above pertains only to those RCAF men killed during the war.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Norman,

Or you can pay for the services of a researcher who can do the job a lot faster. Please let me know if you need the details of a recommended chap and I will put you in touch.

Rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Jonny,
    Thank you, I will certainly consider your kind suggestion of a researcher but at present I feel I should be able to manage the wait.

Dave of Stockholm,
    Regarding 'repatriation files' I was stealing the term from National Archives of Australia but I realise the question has just been answered by Eddie who has mentioned MRES papers in Canadian files. Hitherto I have only seen MRES papers on public view in the Australian repatriation files and never in the U.K. RAF records.

Eddie,
    Thank you for the information. It does sound good what the Canadians send you. What is the procedure for asking for records for those who survived the War? The more I learn about the different archive records obtainable in the Commonwealth, the more it looks as if we are the most expensive system. When dealing with the research of UK RAF servicemen I am forever working backwards from other countries records. Do you think it will ever change?
    Last edited by namrondooh; 6th July 2009 at 18:18.