Thread: No.7 Squadron, 1943

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default No.7 Squadron, 1943

I wonder if anyone has the ORB of No.7 Squadron. I have several queries, viz:

Is there anything to link a Sergeant Burgar (a gunner, engaged in air combat, 2/3 February 1943) with Sergeant Reginald Kenneth Burgar (R92486), RCAF ?

Is there anything to link a Sergeant Browell (gunner, in air combats, 2/3 February 1943 and 11/12 February 1943) with Sergeant George Willard Browell (R85068 later J43133), RCAF ?

Can the crew of Stirling "D", involved in a combat, 11/12 August 1942, be identified ? I have a Combat Report which has no names on it, and although a list of sorties for A.A. Bishop, RCAF, this particular date does not appear - yet the CR supposedly relates to his crew. ORB confirmation sought.

Can the crew of Stirling BF335, involved in a combat, 24 August 1942, be identified ? A.A. Bishop was flying that night, but the CR in my hand gives no names. Again, ORB confirmation is sought.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hugh,
    Combat report has these two men with 9sqdn on dates mentioned, but if it helps, they were both trained at 7AGS and went on to 14 OTU
    Last edited by AlanW; 8th July 2009 at 18:59.

Thanks

Default No.7 and 9 Squadrons

I stand corrected - the Combat Report mentioning Burgar and Browell does indeed originate from No.9 Squadron. In the absence (in the CR) of initials with their names, is there anything to link these two gunners with the two RCAF men named in my original post ?

Thanks

Hugh,
    Nothing to link them unless you can look into the files of your two RCAF men to see if they attended 7AGS and 14 OTU.

Thanks

Default Burgar and Browell

Alas, the records available to me do not cover their UK postings, and unless I can prove they have been deceased 20 + years their full service files are closed to me. Failing an AGS, OTU or squadron diary reference, giving either initials or service number, I am stuck. Not a life-threatening matter, though.

Thanks

Default Nanton Lancaster Society

Possibly your BURGAR at the NLS message board. An air gunner named Reginald Burgar passed away at Grande Prairie, Alberta 9 May 2003. Message left by his son mentions that he was a crewmember on Lancaster KB700 and includes an e-mail link.

See this page:

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/nlvq_lseuqm_q_vnlqv/index.php?limit=1350

Air Gunner Flt. Sgt. R.K. Burgar was a member of the crew that ferried the first Canadian-built Lancaster, KB700 "Ruhr Express" to Britian in August 1943. There is a photo of him and the crew mascot "Bambi" in the Toronto Globe&Mail 7 August 1943.
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 9th July 2009 at 00:16.