Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Ashworth Miller 90 Squadron died 30/08/ 1944

Thanks

Default John Ashworth Miller 90 Squadron died 30/08/ 1944

Air Gunner John Ashworth Miller died 30/08/1944 while serving with 90 Squadron R.A.F.V.R and is buried in Anfield Cemetery Liverpool. As he died while not on Air Operations how can i find out more about his service ?

Thanks

Hello Halewood,

29/30 August 1944
    No.90 Squadron
    Lancaster I LM128 WP-Y
    Op:Stettin

Took off 2113 Tuddenham. Returning to base, emerged from low cloud and crashed 0714 near Freckenham about 12 miles WNW of Bury St. Edmonds, Suffolk and practically within site[sic] of the airfield some 4 miles away to the east. Three, Sgt Mair, Sgt Sleep and Sgt Miller died from their injuries. Sgt Mair, at 36 well over the age associated operational aircrew, was taken back to Scotland for burial in Falkirk Cemetery; Sgt Sleep, who came from Deal, was cremated at Golders Green Crematorium at Hendon, while Sgt Miller rests in Liverpool (Anfield) Cemetery.

P/O K J Sullivan RAAF Inj.
    Sgt W G Mair Inj.
    Sgt D E David Inj.
    Sgt A B Sleep Inj.
    F/Sgt E A Bennetts Inj.
    Sgt J H R Bowtell Inj.
    Sgt J A Miller Inj.

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War Vol.5 1944
    Chorley,W.R.
    Earl Shilton:Midland Counties Pubs.,1997
    p.403

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th July 2009 at 17:39. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply, i thought with him being buried in his hometown that he might have died in the locality.

Thanks

Hi
    It was always possible for those who died ,from whatever cause, to be claimed for burial by relatives and taken "home". They would most probably have a CWGC headstone but not invariably. Clearly it could not be done for those who were buried in foreign territory,especially if it was under enemy occupation, but it was regularly the case for those who died within the UK or were washed ashore in Uk waters. As you can see Miller's death came about from Operational Causes even if it occurred after the op and near his home base. It is possible that if he succumbed to injuries after the crash it might have changed the wording of the Official letter sent to Next-of Kin
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hello Halewood,

I have just had a look at my files on this incident. I can tell you Bill Chorley and the CWGC have not got it quite right.

The facts on your man, Miller, seem OK.

I won't go into detail just yet, but take a look at 'Sgt W G Mair's' entry on the CWGC.

The F/Sgt A E Bennetts mentioned by Chorley, is actually - AUS432093 F/Sgt Edward Arthur BENNETTS RAAF !

I'll wait and see what others have to say before commenting further.

Col.

Thanks

Just noticed on the c.w.g.c website regarding Mair,s place of burial.

Thanks

Hello H,

There is more:-

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE

GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH

Appointment to commission

As Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency):-

Sgts.

2 June 1944.

1824814 William Gordon MAIR (183046)

See: (London) Gazette Issue 36884 published on 15 December 1944 p.4 of 8.

The Camelon issue does'nt bother me, it seems to fit with Falkirk. it's the other errors that concern me.

Col.

Thanks

Hi
    Camelon Cemetery is on the western edge of the town of Falkirk and is in Stirlingshire. CWGC mentions the home town of Mair's parents but not that of his wife which might be closer to Camelon but still part of Falkirk, it is clear that Mair was one of the many who were taken "Home" to rest. The "promotion" from Sgt to P/O for Mair is not unusual in CWGC records, you may find it in the London Gazette where the effective date could be the day before he died. It might even have been in the pipeline but not yet on Mair's Service Record. The omission of RAAF against a name in Chorley might not have been Chorley's error. He clearly prepared a prodigious document over a number of years and could simply have been misled by the sources that were available to him, in addition, that prodigious document must have undergone an editorial and proof-reading process with the publishers who were probably responsible for the layout of the books that we have in front of us. Given the size of the work and the editorial effort it is not surprising that errors can occur even if ,technically, it is the Authors responsibility.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick,

Thanks for your comments.

I correspond with Bill Chorley on an irregular basis, passing on corrections, additions and amendments. Bill receives these offerings in the spirit they are given.

I am fully aware of his situation, there is no problem.

Col.

Thanks

Hi
    Col's post and mine crossed and his information on Mair's rank seems to confirm that his Commission was in the pipeline when he died. The difference in dates between Commission and it's promulgation seems a bit extreme but I don't think it was entirely unusual, but it was unfortunate that he had died before the London Gazette notification.The Gazette had, and still has, great authority and Official Status on the various matters that appear in its columns, and it could be that Mair had applied, or been recommended, for a Commission but could not adopt the rank and style of the the new status until it had appeared in the London Gazette, which for him , sadly, it never did.
    Regards
    Dick