Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 420430 - Unaccounted airmen - 30-4-1942

Thanks

Hi Rich, from the death registration index i can add the following (as written in the index):

Sergei Asimor, aged 32.
    Petre Baranov, aged 35
    Grigoy Pugachev, aged 38
    Boris Shvetzou, aged 31

All registered at Great Ouseburn.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Rich,

I'm sure you mean No.24 Sqn. Flamingo R2764, not R2964.

Col.

Thanks

Yes, jelly fingers. R2764. oops.

Tom, many thanks for these names and ages, much appreciated.

regards Rich

Thanks

Thanks Rich, Col & Tom for this excellent and much appreciated inf'o.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello

Sgt (WOp/Ag) Edmund CULLINANE - 1020562 - the Graves Registration Report Form lists his unit as 6 (C) O.T.U., linking him to Hudson N7288.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Default Re: 420430 - Unaccounted airmen - 30-4-1942

One of the unaccounted..

Sierzant Mikołaj PAWLOWSKI () of the Polish Air Force
    https://nowosci.com.pl/mikolaj-pawlo...ch/ar/10854918

Mikołaj Pawłowski was born in Greater Poland. He died in a hospital in India
    Wojciech Wielgoszewski
    January 24, 2015, 12:00

I did not get to know Mikołaj Pawłowski's grandfather on the distaff side, because due to "history bullies" he died young, more than a decade before I was born.

There are only a few photos left of him and a memory for which his daughter Krystyna did a lot to record.

Grandfather Mikołaj was born in 1890 in Wierzenica near Poznań. There he spent his childhood and youth, there 101 years ago in the larch church of St. Mikołaj married Józefa from Kijaków, a friend from the same village a year younger.
    They both moved to Poznań, where their four children were born: Zygmunt, Leokadia (my mother), Wacław and Krystyna. Soon after the outbreak of World War I, my grandfather was called up to the Prussian army. He took, among others participation in the Battle of Verdun. Twice he miraculously escaped death; he said that it happened thanks to the rosary.

In 1919 he joined the Polish Army. He served in the 1st Aeronautical Battalion in Poznań, which in 1920 fought on the front of the Polish-Bolshevik war. In 1922, the battalion was renamed Aerostatic, and a year later - Balloon. Then Grandpa was transferred to Toruń for business. Two years later, he brought his family here, who first lived at ul. Kochanowskiego, later at Szkolna Street (now Łączna) in Stawki Street. Three more children were born in Toruń: Barbara, Ludwika and Helena. Grandfather served in the 1st Balloon Boon as a senior sergeant. As a military foreman, he prepared airships and balloons for flight. He prepared balloons to participate in the then popular national free balloon competition - for the col. Aleksander Wańkowicz and international ones - for the cup of Gordon Bennett. The balloon "Polonia II" prepared by him in 1935 won in Warsaw, and in 1937 in Brussels he was the second. As a reward, Grandfather received the Bronze Cross of Merit awarded by the Ministry of Military Affairs. In family conversations, also after the war, these competitions and the winning aeronauts were often mentioned: Cpt. Zbigniew Burzyński, Capt. Antoni Janusz or Eng. Franciszek Janik.

Last common path

After the outbreak of the war, on the night of September 3-4, 1939, a soldier arrived with an order to report to the barracks. "My father came to us, asleep," recalls my aunt, "woke me up and said only," Krysia, I'm coming, "he leaned over and kissed my forehead. He also said goodbye to my older sister Leokadia. When he left, we both cried a lot. Our mother took him away. She waited for the car with our father to leave. This stretch of road, from home to car, was the last road they traveled together.

The military transport he traveled was bombed in Kowel in Volhynia. The survivors were taken prisoner by the Soviets. Grandfather's prison road led through Moscow, Zaporozhye and Odessa. His censored letters arrived from captivity. He himself only received one, although we sent many. In his last one he wrote: “I got a letter from Krysia. I read it every day, I already know it by heart. I will be back soon. Let these little ones pray for me. "Maluchy" - these are the three youngest daughters: 8-year-old Basia, 5-year-old Wisia and 18-year-old Lucia. "We felt a special lack of our father on Christmas and on December 6, his name day," recalls aunt Krysia, who in 1940 wrote in a poem dedicated to him: I will not give you my wishes today, / So that you can enjoy them in times of sorrow. / I will not tell you how sincerely I love you / How much I wish you to come back to us / From a foreign, distant, unknown land / To which the fate of war has thrown you. "

We believed in his return

In 1942, grandfather Mikołaj joined General Anders' army. Exhausted from the hardships of captivity, he was sent to a military hospital in India.

After the war, the family believed in his return for a long time. In 1947, aunt Krysia wrote to the International Red Cross in Geneva, from which came the answer:
    "Mikołaj Pawłowski, sergeant, died in Mumbai in a military hospital of typhus on April 30, 1942." Grandma did not believe in his death for a long time. After her grandmother's death (in 1991), her grave thanks to a plaque donated by her son-in-law, Benedykt Stawski, with the inscription: "The late Mikołaj Pawłowski, born on 27/11/1890, died on 30/04/1942 in India ”, he also became a symbolic grave of her husband. However, the family search for the real one was not stopped; Two years ago it turned out to be the British War Cemetery in Pune, West India.

I shared the memory of my grandfather "after the sword", Józef Wielgoszewski, with the Readers on December 8, 2012, on the occasion of Leonard Torwirt's 100th birthday. Although Grandfather Józef died in 1971, I remember the smell of his cigars and the smell of wood in his carpentry workshop at the Monuments Conservation Workshop on ul. Chełmińska. I remember the timbre of his voice and the stories he shared with us from his 85 years.

------------------------------------------

Thanks

Default Re: The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

Alfred Charles Rumsby 910028 , attached to 255 AMES, was killed in a road accident on Nicosia Road near Limassol