Thread: 11 SFTS fatal accident june 30 1941

Thanks

Default 11 SFTS fatal accident june 30 1941

Hi,

I seek a clarification on an accident at 11 SFTS Shawbury.
    The French pilot, Gabriel Desgres, died June 30, 1941.
    The accident occurred on a Airsped Oxford.
    - What was the serial of the airplane ?
    - Who else was on board ?

Thanking you in advance

MLT

Thanks

The aircraft's serial was T1045 and I have it that he was flying solo. Certainly I could find no other casualty.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    The aircraft's serial was T1045 and I have it that he was flying solo. Certainly I could find no other casualty.

Colin Cummings
    Thanks for your help Colin !!!

MLT

Thanks

Hi,

A-B RAF serials book stated that Oxford I T1045 stalled on approach and dived into ground, Shawbury, 30.6.41.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

The ORB records the following:

June 30th 1941, “Fatal Accident. Oxford I T.1045. The pupil, Cpl G. Desgres (Free French) was approaching the aerodrome to land when he was seen by witnesses to open up the port engine. The aircraft climbed, stalled and spun upside down into the ground, becoming a total wreck. The pupil was killed instantly and a Court of Inquiry was called for. The accident was reported by Signal T.70.”

July 2nd 1941, “An investigation was held this day by Wing Commander E.W. Simpson into the accident on 30.6.41, in which Cpl G. Desgres (Free French Forces) was killed. Evidence was given by the pupil’s instructor, Flying Officer F. Finney, as to the orders given to Cpl Degres before the flight, and also by witnesses of the crash, the Station Medical Officer and personnel responsible for servicing the aircraft. From the evidence it was not possible to ascertain with any certainty the cause of the accident beyond the fact that by error of judgement the pupil stalled the aircraft when approaching the land. Also it was evident that during the approach the starboard engine was not giving any power, but whether this was due to engine failure of to the fact that Cpl Degres had set the throttles unevenly was obscure. Further investigation by the A.I.B. would be necessary to clarify this point.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    The ORB records the following:

June 30th 1941, “Fatal Accident. Oxford I T.1045. The pupil, Cpl G. Desgres (Free French) was approaching the aerodrome to land when he was seen by witnesses to open up the port engine. The aircraft climbed, stalled and spun upside down into the ground, becoming a total wreck. The pupil was killed instantly and a Court of Inquiry was called for. The accident was reported by Signal T.70.”

July 2nd 1941, “An investigation was held this day by Wing Commander E.W. Simpson into the accident on 30.6.41, in which Cpl G. Desgres (Free French Forces) was killed. Evidence was given by the pupil’s instructor, Flying Officer F. Finney, as to the orders given to Cpl Degres before the flight, and also by witnesses of the crash, the Station Medical Officer and personnel responsible for servicing the aircraft. From the evidence it was not possible to ascertain with any certainty the cause of the accident beyond the fact that by error of judgement the pupil stalled the aircraft when approaching the land. Also it was evident that during the approach the starboard engine was not giving any power, but whether this was due to engine failure of to the fact that Cpl Degres had set the throttles unevenly was obscure. Further investigation by the A.I.B. would be necessary to clarify this point.”
    thank you for your invaluable help, these details are very relevant.

friendships
    MLT

Thanks

The aircraft accident card records that the crash occurred at 15.35 hrs.
    Cheers, Tom