Thread: Unit Identification

Thanks

Default Unit Identification

I have a copy of a photograph of a chorus line of six WAAFs who appeared in a production of Cinderella in January 1943 at the Concert Hall, Laughing Waters Road House, now Inn of the Lake, Gravesend, Kent. One of those ladies, Acw.1. Joyce Field, unfortunately died in July of the same year.

My assumption is that they were all stationed at RAF Gravesend, if that is correct can anybody advise the title of the Unit that they would have been serving with. I am aware that there was a fairly frequent change of Squadrons at the airport so my further assumption is that the WAAF unit title would have been more stable.

Your assistance appreciated

Tony

Thanks

Default RAF Gravesend

G'day Tony

I know that in September 1944, R.A.F. Station Gravesend was home to No. 23 Balloon Centre. The following Balloon Squadrons were located there at the time: 911/23, 925/6, 949, 966

Thanks

Default Gravesend

G'day Tony

Somehow I posted accidentally before finishing.

Depending on when in July ACW.1 Joyce Field died, the following squadrons were at R.A.F. Station Gravesend, Kent during July of 1943:

No. 2 (AC) Squadron - 16th of July to 7th of August, 1943

No. 4 (AC) Squadron - 16th of July to 7th of August, 1943

No. 132 'City of Bombay' (F) Squadron - 20th of June to 3rd of July, 1943

No. 133 'Eagle' (F) Squadron - 31st of July to 17th of August, 1943

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default RAF Gravesend

Good Morning Dakota

Thanks for your response

The WAAF, being permanent staff at the station, as opposed to the comings and goings of various RAF Squadrons, would obviously be more appropriately referred to as "WAAF, RAF Gravesend".

As an "Old" soldier my knowledge of RAF structure is limited.

Best wishes

Tony

Thanks

Having solved that problem another raised its head.

There is only one Joyce S. Field aged 25 died on 21st July 1943 recorded by the GRO and her death was registered in Doncaster, so Death Cert. obtained and it was the same Joyce Field. That raised the question 'why is her death registered in Doncaster and she is buried in Gravesend Cemetery?'. Two possible answers:-

(1) She was on leave from Gravesend and paying a social visit to Doncaster.

(2) She had been temporarily posted to RAF Doncaster for a course or whatever and her body returned to RAF Gravesend as this was her home station.

Not being well versed in RAF procedures can anybody advise whether it is possible for me to ascertain her reason for being in Doncaster.

She was laid to rest with full military honours at Gravesend Cemetery on, I believe, 26th July 1943, date to be confirmed.

Grateful for any assistance.

Tony