Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hudson crew for N7249 224 Sqdn lost 23-04-1940

Thanks

Hi Alan

As far as I'm aware the aircraft was carrying AVM C D Breese to Sumburgh, so whilst this was perhaps an 'operational' flight in one sense it wasn't an operational patrol.

All the best

Malcolm
    rafweb.org

Thanks

Default Hudson crew for N7249 lost 23-4-40

Hello to all in this thread,

My father was one of the crew surviving this crash - his name was LAC John Ness. The aircraft was in fact N7290 not as is reported N7249. I have his flying logbook and if anybody is still interested in this thread, I would like to hear from them.

Ken Ness

kness@btinternet.com

Thanks

I too had the a/c as N7249 per Air-Britain RAF 'N-Serials' as well as Andrew Hendrie's book 'Lockheed Hudson in WWII' (Airlife, 1999); Hendrie lists N7290 as serving with 220 Sqn and being lost through spinning into a house in Middlesborough on 8 November 1939.
    I had LAC Ness listed as a survivor of N7249 and possibly a PoW but I haven't noted the source of that info.

Keith

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bryers View Post
    I too had the a/c as N7249 per Air-Britain RAF 'N-Serials' as well as Andrew Hendrie's book 'Lockheed Hudson in WWII' (Airlife, 1999); Hendrie lists N7290 as serving with 220 Sqn and being lost through spinning into a house in Middlesborough on 8 November 1939.
    I had LAC Ness listed as a survivor of N7249 and possibly a PoW but I haven't noted the source of that info.

Keith
    P/O Webb was killed when the aircraft was shot down. My father was an AG on board and was one of two rescued by locals and he returned on HMS Galatea, he was never a POW - had he been, I would have never been born as he met my mother 4 months later in St Andrews (Near Leuchars). The details from his logbook are as follows:-

19/4/40 14.30 Hudson N7266 Sgt Webb N.S.P. Battle Flight
    20/4/40 11.10 Hudson N7283 Sgt Cargill N.S.P. Battle Flight
    23/4/40 09.35 Hudson N7249 P/O Webb Leuchars to Wick B.F.
    23/4/40 13.05 Hudson N7290 P/O Webb Moral support to troops at Andalsnes. At 16.20 Aircraft struck by Pom-Pom at Andalsnes – Aircraft burning – Bailed out at 2,000ft - Shot at by Norwegian troops in mistake for German Paratroopers. Landed in Fjord – Picked up by 2 Norwegians Brought to Rosyth in H.M.S. Galatea. Bombed on way back by German aircraft. Pilot killed. Flying Time 4.15hrs

As you can see, the aircraft changed from the morning to the afternoon. He was always a bit precise and I find it hard to believe that he would have put down an incorrect aircraft number especially in view of the fact that the log is signed by his CO. An excellent article by Andy Saunders covers the days events in great detail.

Regards

Ken

Thanks

Thanks

Keith

Thanks

I hope there is still some interest in this thread. For almost 20 years I have, on and off, worked with this project, namely getting a name on the "known-unto-God" monument on an airman's grave at Åndalsnes. (see: http://www.murray.as/hudson)

I am happy to tell you that Hector Garman Webb will finally have his name on his headstone next summer. The crew members were:

Pilot:
    P/O Hector Garman Webb ( *c. 1913 +1940-04-23)

Navigator:
    P/O Anthony Brien John Pearson (*1920-03-14 +1999-05-21)

Wireless operator:
    AC William Ferguson Shaw ( *c. 1920 +1941-03-05)

Tail gunner:
    LAC John Ness (+1988-06)

Over the years I have also made contact with relatives of all four airmen on the Hudson. I am looking forward to the ceremony next summer and in that respect I could use some help. I have not been able to contact AC WF Shaw's nephew, Alan (see post #10, 7th August 2009) for some years. Please, if anyone knows him, do ask him to get in touch with me so I can keep him updated in the months ahead.

Glenn Murray
    Oslo, Norway
    Last edited by glennmur; 28th November 2016 at 15:36. Reason: misprint