Thread: Canadian gunner

Thanks

Default Canadian gunner

Hi, All:

A long shot I know, but has anyone any details of "a rear gunner, whose name was Daniel Gabbie, or Gaby" and flew with the RAF from 1942, until he "disappeared" in about 1944. He was based in the UK, and could have been in either Bomber or Coastal Commands. (The name could have been a contraction of something like "Gabreski"......

Ttfn

Andy Wis

Thanks

If you haven't already done so, you could try the CWGC website and input just the first three letters "GAB" and see what turns up in Second World War Air Force selection.... You can then narrow down your search for 1944 etc. On a quick search, no Daniel but you might find who you are looking for, not always the name coincides!
    Hope this helps...

Thanks

Default Gabryelski

G'day Kevin

R202350 Sergeant Theodore Gabryelski was a Wireless Air Gunner from Montreal, Quebec. Gabryelski was with No. 24 Operational Training Unit when his Wellington B. Mk. III s/n crashed killing all seven crewmen onboard on the night of the 3rd/4th of July, 1944.

I can post the details of the crash tonight if you would like.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hi, Dakota, ahem, I think your post should actually be addressed to Andy Wis!!
    I'm glad you were able to get from Daniel Gaby to Theodore Gabryelski!
    OTU seemed more dangerous than actual Ops!!
    Edit: A little more Googling produced this:-
    04/07/1944 Wellington BK251 of 24 OTU crashed in the bomb dump at Honeybourne while on approach, probably following engine failure. F/O A S Woolaver RCAF, F/O R J Gray RCAF, P/O W A Tees RCAF, F/O E K Burleigh RCAF, Sgt L T Gabryelski RCAF, Sgt G A Jones RCAF and Sgt W Marshall RCAF were all killed.
    Last edited by KevinW4; 15th July 2009 at 09:57.