Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 109 Sqn Wellingtons, 1942

Thanks

Default 109 Sqn Wellingtons, 1942

Hi all

Has anyone ever seen photos of 109 Sqn Wellingtons from early 1942 showing the squadron codes? Pictures of any 109 Sqn a/c seem quite few and far between.

As I mentioned in a thread some time ago, Chorley refers to the loss of one of their Wellingtons at the end of March '42, having the squadron code 'ZP'. I never understood why it would have been that when, as I understand it, 109's code was 'HS'.

But I've never seen any photos of 109 Sqn Wellingtons (and not many of their later Mossies either) showing the squadron code letters. So do ANY photos of 109 Sqn Wellingtons exist? ... marked-up 'HS' or otherwise?

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Default No. 109 (B) Squadron

G'day Ian

I quote verbatim from 'Bomber Squadrons of the R.A.F. and Their Aircraft' by Philip J. R. Moyers.

"On the 10th of December, 1940, the squadron was re-born from the Wireless intelligence Development Unit (W.I.D.U.) whose headquarters were at Boscombe Down, Wilts. Using Ansons and Wellington aircraft it was engaged during the next two years in development of radio counter-measures and also new radar aids, notably the blind bombing system known as Oboe. In August, 1942, No. 109 moved to Wyton, Huntingdonshire, to become one of the original units in the Pathfinder Force. It converted to Oboe Mosquitoes and on the 20th/21st made World War 2 history by flying the first Oboe sorties over enemy territory."

The squadron was allocated the code 'EH' from April to September 1939. It was 'HS' from the 10th of December, 1940 until disbandment on the 1st of February, 1957 at R.A.F. Station Binbrook, Lincolnshire. i.e. Vickers Wellington Mk. IC s/n T2968 coded HS-S

'ZP' was assigned to No. 74 'Trinidad' (F) Squadron and also No. 1473 (SD) Flight.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default No. 1473 (SD) Flight

G'day Ian

No. 1473 (Special Duties) Flight was formed on the 10th of July, 1942 from No. 109 Squadron's 'A' (Wireless Reconnaissance) Flight. This post-dates your Wimpy loss of the end of March, 1942. As previously mentioned, the flight was assigned the code 'ZP'.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default 109 Sqn Wellingtons

Thanks Chris

So it looks like Chorley's BCL got this one wrong (BCL '42, P.55) and it would have been coded 'HS' after all. Thought so. (He also says it T/O from Tempsford but it was definitely Stradishall).

Still, out of interest, does anyone know of any photos of 109 Sqn Wellingtons?

Ian

Thanks

Default 109 Squadron Wellingtons

I have just one photograph of a 109 Squadron Wellington - the squadron code was definately HS. ZP was carried by 1473 (SD) Flight - John

Thanks

Default 109 Sqn Wellington

Thanks John, that's most helpful.

Just out of interest, would there be any chance of seeing a copy of that photo, if you could scan and e-mail it?

My research on the Lubeck Raid is continuing (almost done?) although it's temporarily on pause pending possibly getting some further copy docs from NARA in the US. 109 Sqn lost one a/c that night (P/O Maygothling) about whom I posted on this Forum in Mar '09. They FTR from what I believe was a flight parallel to the Danish coast monitoring enemy wireless transmissions. I've not yet been able to establish the cause of the loss. Still hoping to establish if they were shot down by looking at NJ claims (NJWD) and seeing if Maygothling could have been in those locations at those times, based upon T/O time, intended route, likely airspeed etc.

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 13th October 2010 at 13:47.

Thanks

Default 109 Squadron Wellington

What's your email - it was given to me by Harold Jordan DSO - Spec Op aboard DV819 when they confirmed the existence of German AI. If you use it anywhere credit it to the late Harold Graham Jordan DSO
    John

Thanks

Default Photo

Hi John

Its ianDOThunt29ATbtinternetDOTcom, doing the usual with DOTs and AT.

I have no plans to publish anything so it's just for personal interest. Mind you, maybe one should never say never? :-) so I will heed your request should anything ever come of it all.

Ian

Thanks

Default photos of 109

Ian
    My friend spent ages at the Imperial War Museum and came away with photos he'd never seen before of 75 Sqn.. Worth trying? Presume you have already tried the RAF Museum.
    Dee

Thanks

According to Chris Ward and Steve Smith in "3 Group Bomber Command", 109 Squadron was at Tempsford until 6/4/42