Thread: Course 15b 1 Air Navigation School

Thanks

Default Course 15b 1 Air Navigation School

Can anyone tell me when Course 15b 1 Air Navigation School took place at Rivers, Manitoba, Canada ? (1940-41?)
    Any ideas where I can get a list of personnel?
    Thank you
    James

Thanks

1 ANS moved to Rivers in May 1942,and shortly after was renamed Central Navigation School, so that narrows your dates down a bit. Sorry, no source of class listings.

Thanks

Dear Bill
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the dated that are published on many web sites, only problem is that I have a photo labelled as Course 15b 1ANS Rivers, Man. and one of the chaps in it died in December 41. I have found a picture on a Canadian web site of some chaps at 1ANS Rivers which is dated June 41.
    Confusion abounds....
    James

Thanks

It may have had a detachment at Rivers before the complete School moved there. That could also explain the "b" on the course number, I've never seen that before.

1 ANS started at Trenton, and by late 1941 that would have been a very busy place.

Thanks

Dear Bill
    Thank you for that new info. Very useful. I am trying to place an individual in a time frame. If I can find out the dates of the course I will be able to work out which convoys he sailed on. Luckily he left a list of places visited and ships sailed on but sadly no dates.
    The hunt goes on
    James

Thanks

Hello again Bill
    The web page I found was http://www.junobeach.org/e/4/can-tac-air-bca-tra-e.htm#null
    if you look on the 6th image down the caption puts a spanner in the works!
    James

Thanks

I have found a couple of different dates for the move in "real" published sources (as opposed to the Internet). The one I trust most is from Aerodrome of Democracy, by F.J. Hatch, published by the Department of Defence's Directorate of History in 1983:

The Central Navigation School at Rivers, Man., where the generally
    cloudless skies were ideally suited to the practice of astronavigation,
    was the hub of the navigation training programme. It
    was formed in May 1942 by the amalgamation of No. 1 Air Navigation
    School, moved from Trenton to Rivers in 1940, and No. 2,
    originally located at Pennfield Ridge, NB.

An Annex in this book gives the date of the move of 1 ANS as 23 November 1940, about the time Trenton started to fill up. So, your course could have been anytime from then to May 1942. The School daily diary should be on microfilm, and it may have class lists. Hopefully Dakota can post the reel number.

Thanks

"Luckily he left a list of places visited and ships sailed on but sadly no dates."

James, that may be enough if you know which convoy route he was on. There are convoy report files at The National Archives that include many of the transatlantic convoys, and these contain lists of the ships in each. Especially in the first couple of years, not all ships were confined to one route, and it may be that only one or two possible convoys carried your man. It may also be able to narrow down the time if any of the ships on his list were lost.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce

Thanks

I have been using www.warsailors.com and www.convoyweb.org.uk and have found the ships listed but they are not a comprehensive list and convoys joined others and small contingents left etc to go to other destinations but they are a good place to start if you are looking for aircrew on the waves!