Thread: Sergeant Aubrey Wilfred Deere-106 squadron

Thanks

Default Sergeant Aubrey Wilfred Deere-106 squadron

Hello,

Jan.21,1942 a Hampden Bomber of 106 squadron crashed in my hometown Zwolle after a mission to Bremen.The pilot managed to keep the plane in the air just long enough for the other to three cremmembers to jump.They became POW.The brave pilot,Aubrey Wilfred Deere,died sadly because he couldn't leave the plane in time.A local author made a story about the crew and their last flight.There are photo's and info about the three POW's.Unfortunately till this day there in not much known about the pilot.I hope to find out more about him.The CWGC site tells his parents are Wilfrid Walter and Eveline Edith Deere but gives no hometown.
    I was hoping there is someone who has some info which would help me to find out some more about him or even better to find relatives of him.
    I looked already at familysearch.org but found no entry.

regards
    Mike

Thanks

Mike,
    According to the General Registrars Office, he was born in the period, April to June 1920, in Islington and his mother's maiden name was Mostwinski.

Thanks

Alan,

Thanks for the respond.I will follow this lead.

Mike

Thanks

Default Relative of crew

Hi, my name is Joe Palmer, my grandfather, B J Palmer was one of the crew on this plane. I have also been searching for information about my grand father when I came across your thread. I spoke to my dad about Wilfred, who was known as 'Johnny Deere'.

This was his response: 'I don't have much info about Johnny Deere and I don't think I have ever seen his picture. He was an only child of fairly elderly parents, I think his father my have died just before or during the war. His mother I met once or twice when I was very young, Dad always kept in contact with her, I think she lived in the London area, she used to send Mary and I a box of chocolates for Christmas every year until she passed away.'

My dad and I have both visited the memorial site in Zwolle, it was very moving for both of us. My grandfather was captured with both the other 2 surviving crew members and they spent 3 years in POW together until they were liberated. My grandfather passed away in 1997 and we are still trying to piece together his memoirs, which may have more info about Johnny.

Hope this is useful to you and thank you for taking such an interest in something that is so close to me, after all, was it not for his bravery in keeping the plane flying so my grandfather could bail out, I probably would not even exist.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks

Default Hampden AE123 ZN-D

Hi Joe,

Did send you a PM
    You can also check http://www.teunispats.net/t1388.htm
    My email is also on that link and beyond are more details of this Hampden.
    PATS - Vollenhove - The Netherlands