Thread: Lancaster "prangs", No. 405 Squadron in March 1944

Thanks

Default Lancaster "prangs", No. 405 Squadron in March 1944

hello,

I failed to find any details about it (Kew and Hendon), but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

In March 1944, the crew captained by F.T.S. BRICE, previously in No 408 Squadron but posted to No. 405, had two prangs in a matter of days. The first one is an overshoot landing, and the very next day, their Lancaster "cracked into another Lanc and cut its tail off". This is an extract from a letter of Elvin Todd, who was the mid-upper gunner of the crew. They were sent back to 408 where they flew until June 1944, when they crashed near Cambrai (12/13 June 1944).

Thanks in advance for details about the Lancasters involved in these incidents/accidents.

Cheers

Joss

Thanks

Default 405 Sq Lanc's

Joss. I went through the 405 ORB's with no mention of either event. Maybe the Gransden Lodge station records may hold some info.

Richard

Thanks

Hello Richard,

Thanks for confirming. I checked No. 405 Squadron ORB back in 2004 and failed to find these details at the time, but I might have missed them. Two pairs of eyes are better than one. The station ORB is a good idea, I'll put it on my list for my next visit to Kew. Even if the Lancasters were not written off, there should have been some paperwork about these incidents.

Joss