Thread: RCAF Service Record

Thanks

Default RCAF Service Record

Hi,
    It's been a few years since i aquired an RCAF Service Record from Ottawa, can anyone tell me how much is charged nowadays.
    tia.....Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Recently I received records of six airman.There was no charge for it.However I did ask for the genealogy package.I am not sure if they charge should you ask for more.Recently there were some threads about RCAF service records.Though the genealogy packet contains a lot of info I found out that in the packets are not included some additional info.Thera are guys here on the forum who can tell you all about it.

Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike,
    Can you explain what information the genealogy package consists of please, my interest stems from the churchyard that adjoins my garden. Apart from the CWGC plots that are in the churchyard, an overgrown area has recently been cleared after many years, this revealed a granite memorial to James Evans (1918) and his son Spencer (RCAF) who died 28/07/42. I have uploaded a photo of the memorial to his page on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial.
    Chorley BC Losses gives unit as 22 OTU, Wellington X9696, full name is James Spencer Evans, ops to Hamburg, but what's got me interested is where the Cornish connection is, as his parents are James and Mabel Evans of Belville Ontario, unless of course, the father was born in my area of Cornwall.
    Regards........Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 19th July 2009 at 20:32.

Thanks

I can vouch for the free geneology packages, you will get a selection of papers, ask them for particular things and they will copy and send them to you. I have gotten some large packages for some men in geneology packages.

If your interested in where his parents came from then you'll get that as part of his basic enlistment papers so a geneology package will suffice.

I just recalled that ancestry.com has ontario death certificates online and Ontario service personell were issued with these even when they died abroad.

PM me or email me and I'll send you a copy of his.

He was born April 11th 1917 in England, it does not say exactly where.

Both his parents, James Spencer Evans and Mabel Randall were born in England. it does not safe the father is deceased or not however.

there are two J S Evans on CWGC for 1918, sadly neither has full names or next of kin or ages!!

They are

Pte. J S Evans 45349 Durham Light Infantry : 02/07/1918 <----- This is a John Stephen Evans
    Pte. J S Evans 37159 South Staffordshire Regiment 05/10/1918 <---- this is a Samuel Evans died in England of Wounds, from elsewhere on ancestry.com

At a guess I would say that if his father died during the war, his mother perhaps made a new life in Canada after the war.

A geneology package would I think answer that for you.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 19th July 2009 at 21:27. Reason: Added names of men from 1918. niether of them James
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

In his death notice in the Globe and Mail, 1942/09/11 RCAF Casualty Comm, No. 366, his is listed

EVANS, James Spencer, Sergeant, missing after air operations overseas. Mrs. J. S. Evans (mother), 8 Oriole Avenue, Centre Island, Toronto.
    http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/newspapers/intro_e.shtml

In Canadian Shipping records for May 1925, the SS Athenia sails Liverpool to Quebec with onboard

Mabel Evans, age 39, Widow, Born Bristol England, had never been to Canada before and intended residing there.
    With her was two boys,

James Spencer Evans age 18* born Camborne England
    Alfred Henry Evans age 14* born Camborne England

the ages here do not add up of course! James is 10 years too old to be our man

In anycase, the Salvation Army is listed as the body which paid the fair along with a number of others on the ship. There seems to be a number of widows on the page of the manifest.

Apart from the clear problem with the boys ages, it looks like them.

I cannot find a birth for Alfred in Redruth.

I see that CAMBORNE is in Redruth district.

Email me for copies of the files, I've yet to check border crossings etc
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 19th July 2009 at 21:15. Reason: added shipping details
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Alan,

Dennis already answered your question to me.I could add one thing.You have to be patience before you will receive a service record.It took almost four months before I received them.But it's worth waiting for it!

Mike

Thanks

In luck, theres a border crossing form for one James Spencer Evans from 1941 when visiting Detroit where it says he came too halifax NS on the SS Athenia in 1925. Your in luck with all this.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Mike/Dennis,
    Thank you both for your replies, very much appreciated, Dennis, with all that you've posted i do'nt think there's any need for me to apply for his service file, but i will be emailing you in respect of your offer of copies of what you have. Knowing that he was born in my hometown (Camborne) i can dig a bit deeper, being that the memorial is in All Saints Churchyard, it's possible that he may have been christened in same church.
    Many thanks......Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 20th July 2009 at 06:50.