Thread: Dick-cleland, Donald Peter; Lac 1271237

Thanks

Default Dick-cleland, Donald Peter; Lac 1271237

Hi All

The above was killed on 9 Jan 1942 and is registered in Chippenhem, was he flying Master I, T8318 of No 9 SFTS?

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 20th July 2009 at 12:18. Reason: wrong date

Thanks

Your man was mentioned in this thread, although nothing conclusive.

www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25477

Regards
    Martyn

Thanks

Hi Malcolm
    The original thread was one of Henk's and Henk specified an Oxford crash,X6657, "near Lyneham".It was this that I picked up on and it could have been reported through Chippenham if it happened SW of Lyneham by a suitable distance. Close to Lyneham itself it would be reported at the time through Swindon.I had it in my mind that Castle Combe,where Henk placed the Magister T8318, was too far south, but a fresh look shows that a death there would have been reported to Chippenham so it brings the Master into the picture.
    The name Dick-Cleland rang a bell from my days as a very junior Broker's representative in the Underwriting room at Lloyd's in London in the mid-Fifties. They a were a firm of Insurance Brokers and it was a Name on a Syndicate, as was that of the founder of the company that employed me. D P Dick-Cleland appears on the Lloyd's WW2 Roll of honour which I got via a Google search
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 20th July 2009 at 17:04.

Thanks

Hi Dick

Castle Combe definitely falls in Chippenham's registration district although 'SW of Lynham' also appears to be in the Chippenham area, with Lyneham itself being the western limit of the Swindon area.

So perhaps this one is still open?

Malcolm

Thanks

I wonder if D P Dick-Cleland was in some way related to Charles Buchanan Dick-Cleland, who retired from the RAF in 1927 as a flight lieutenant? In WWI he served as a member of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force before being attached to the RFC as an observer in 1917.

Errol

Thanks

There is a Charles Buchanan Dick-Cleland appears on a 1934 Shipping manifest from South Africa to England with his wife Lalla Alexandrine. He is described as 'member of Lloyds" under occupation. They married in 1907.

Perhaps an uncle of Alexander B Dick-Cleland.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dick/Dennis,

Thanks for bringing to my attention the Lloyds/Dick-Cleland connection.

Errol

Thanks

Malcolm and Errol
    Lloyds is a Corporation not a company ,and has never become one, so it has a unique history starting in a 17th Century Coffee House on Thames Street in the City of London. They are very conscious of the history and from their website, www.lloyds.com, they would seem to retain archives and are in the process of dedicating a new War Memorial so it would seem useful to contact them to find any information they might retain about their members and/or former employees. Malcolm's man was very young but was almost certainly a junior working in the Underwriting Room before War service and probably related to the Broking firm of Dick-Cleland,not the commonest of names,and Errol's man was clearly a Name(the upper case means that he would have borne a proportion of the Underwriting risk of a Syndicate, of which he may himself have been the head) and a member of Lloyds Corporation.An oblique way to approach Service history but one never knows!!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick,

Thanks for this additional info. Noted for my future projects to do list!

Errol