Thread: CFS, 2 SFTS & 77 Sqn 1940-1941

Thanks

Default CFS, 2 SFTS & 77 Sqn 1940-1941

I am looking at the early wartime service of Hank Iveson the pilot. Please could someone tell me the type and mark of aircraft in use at the following units:

1) CFS, RAF Upavon Oct-Nov 1940
    2) No 2 SFTS, RAF Brize Norton Nov 1940 - Apr 1941
    3) No 77 Sqn, RAF Topcliffe Jul-Oct 1941

Thank you
    Norman

Thanks

Hi Norman

CFS - most contemporary training types

2 SFTS - Oxfords

77 Sqn - Whitley V

Malcolm

Thanks

Norman,

I have quite a lot of info on 2 SFTS between these dates as my Father was also there at that time on 56 Course, infact he was involved in an accident with an instructor, P/O D Iveson, on 29th December 1940 whilst under instruction. I beleive that this Iveson also went on to 77 squadron.

I have a copy of the final roll out from this course but there is no Iveson listed. He could be on the other course as at this time they ran two side by side.

Let me know if l can help further but if you do find any photo's etc, please let me know.

Regards,

Nick
    Last edited by NickFenton; 22nd July 2009 at 07:14.

Thanks

Norman,

Further to this thread, whilst at 2SFTS:-

"On 29th December 1940 at 11.00AM, Leading Aircraftman Ken Fenton was involved in an accident involving Airspeed Oxford R6357 of No. 2 Intermediate Flying Training School, 23 Group, whose engine cut out on a low flying exercise. The aircraft was turning to port when the engine started to vibrate seriously and lost power, the pilot, P/O D. Iveson, was unable to regain lateral level and height from the turn, the aircraft lost height and struck a tree before striking the ground and crashed near Tadpole Bridge, 2 miles South of Bampton, Oxfordshire. Ken at that time was receiving low level dual instruction. Ken received slight injuries in the accident, there was no fire on impact but the aircraft was written off. No blame was apportioned to either the pilot or the pupil. This is not recorded in the Squadron ORB's".

Is this the same guy?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Hello Nick,

Yes its the same pilot. Douglas 'Hank' Iveson. All I have on the crash is "Jan 1941 with student, low flying, crashed Oxford aircraft destroyed". Hank Iveson survived the war and went on to become a Group Captain at Waddington. Your information now expands my knowledge of this incident, thank you

Norman