Thread: 193 Sqn History published

Thanks

Default 193 Sqn History published

A quick 'heads-up' for those who are interested in the above unit - a Typhoons-only squadron that operated mainly from Harrowbeer before joining 146 Wing, 2ndTAF. A unit history has been recently self-published by the 193 Sqn Association, mainly for the benefit of members. Soft cover, 84 glossy A4 pages, 150+ photos, 9 colour profiles, text based on ORB/CRs/personal recollections, appendices include lists of all aircrew and all Typhoons known to have been operated - with in/out dates and causes, plus codes where known (about half of 160 or so aircraft) and sometimes notes on pilot 'owners'. As 193's ORB did not record serials or codes this latter list has been a major exercise using Form 78s and pilots' logs.

The photos have been gathered from a wide range of sources, most significantly from family albums, and hence contain some previously unseen gems for Typhoon enthusiasts. The coverage of pilots is outstanding and names are included, even in large squadron groups.

Cost with UK postage is 15. Only small numbers available - enquiries to secretary@193sqassociation.com

Thanks

Hi
    Book sounds good,150 + photos, more than I have..
    Does the book have much info on the hurricanes ?
    I didn't know there was an association or pending book, I could have given them info, I have been researching 193Sq since about 1980 and did a small re union at harrowbeer for them.
    Wonder if it started a spark..
    All the 193'ers I met were great people, they even built a '109' from bits without a manual.
    cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Default 193's Hurricanes

Hi Jerry
    The Hurricanes get a mention of course (six ex-245 Sqn) but serials are not recorded. I'd be surprised if there were not some photos new to you. A stbd side view of Sqn Ldr petre's DP-X EK132? Some of the 'new' material came from Canada - you probably passed it on the way ...
    CT
    PS The 109 gets a mention and a couple of photos.
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 23rd July 2009 at 16:14. Reason: PS

Thanks

Hello Jerry and Chris,

I have a question for you both.

Jerry: my researching area of crashed planes during WOII in and around my hometown includes also a 193 sqdn Typhoon.Squadron Leader Charles Derek Erasmus was killed March 9,1945 when his Typhoon crashed in Raalte. He is buried at Raalte cemetery.His entry at the CWGC site tells me he came from Salisbury,Southern Rhodesia.I don't know very much about him yet. Do you maybe have some info on him and do you have a photo of him?

Chris:is there in the book also something to find on Charles Erasmus and his service with 193 squadron?

regards

Mike

Thanks

Default 'Rastus' Erasmus

Hi Mike
    Yes there are 3 photos of Erasmus in the 193 book, one as a Flt Lt with 266 Sqn (from which he was promoted to lead 193 in November 1944), one alongside his usual aircraft, DP-S PD500, and one in the centre of a squadron photo taken at Mill in Feb 44.

He had joined 266 (Rhodesia) Squadron in 1943 as an NCO pilot, was commissioned, destroyed 2 enemy aircraft and was awarded a DFC; there is an entry with more detail in 'Those Other Eagles'.
    CT

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your respond.Sounds interesting.

Thanks

I followed up the recommendation by Chris Thomas and I have to say I was not disappointed. It is not my main subject but I always tend to buy squadron histories whatever the unit number and I like to support people who have gone to the cost of publishing their own work.

At the price this is a very worthwhile buy it flags up a number of aspects of Typhoon ops which are not widely covered elsewhere. 193Sqn used bombs rather than rockets and the book includes a lot of interesting photos of 2ndTAF scenes/operating context; weapons such as napalm; camera fits; target shots as well as sqn personnel and aircraft.

Steve

Thanks

hello,

Can you confirm me that this is the book Chris Woodcock was working on last year ? I passed him a few informations I had, also to Tim Darling who connected us ?

I'm quite interested by a copy of the book, I'm also collecting Squadron histories, and even more when they flew Typhoons !

Joss

Thanks

Joss

Yes it is written/published by Chris Woodcock.

Steve

Thanks

I received the book earlier this week and I follow the recommendation from Steve and CHris.It's worthwile buying it.I was interested in the book because there are some photo's and info of Squadron Leader Erasmus in it(KIA March 9,1945 near my hometown).Besides that the book gives a great view at the 193 squadron history.Many great photo's.

regards

Mike