Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAAF & RNZAF airmen in Buchenwald

Thanks

Default RAAF & RNZAF airmen in Buchenwald

I am seeking further information, - number, rank, squadron, home town, how captured etc - on the following nine Australians and two NewZealanders who were sent to Buchenwald Concentration Camp in August 1944. They were held there for three months till late October 1944 when, through the brave efforts of the Senior Officer, Squadron Leader Phil Lamason RNZAF, they were 'rescued' by the Luftwaffe and transferred to Stalag Luft III East Camp (together with the RAF, RCAF and USAAF airmen).

It was later discovered they were all destined to be executed at Buchenwald

RAAF
    Fairclough M.J.
    Gwilliam J.P. Have some information
    Johnston E.L. Have some information
    Light K.W.
    Malcolm T.A.
    Mills R.N. Have some information
    Mills K.C.
    Perry R.W.
    Whellum L.K. Have some information

RNZAF
    Cullen M.F Have some information
    Lamason P.J. (Senior Officer) Have some information

I would be grateful for any further details about these aircrew no matter how minor and will post a similar inquiry for the 47 RAF and 29 RCAF airmen separately. Altogether, there were 168 allied airmen (including 81 USAAF airmen) incarcerated. I have no record of Czechoslovakian, French, Belgium, Norwegian and Polish aircrew held at Buchenwald.

Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 20th July 2009 at 22:39. Reason: updating list

Thanks

Do you mean Buchenwald? Iżycki and Jensen, PAF, were at Sachsenhausen.
    Franek

Thanks

Thank you Franek, I had their names but not their nationality or the camp. This clears up another mystery.
    Norman

Thanks

Hi Norman,

From the National Archives of Australia website:

WHELLUM LESLIE KEITH : Service Number - 417545 : Date of birth - 23 Jun 1923 : Place of birth - KENSINGTON SA : Place of enlistment - ADELAIDE

GWILLIAM, James Percival - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 432353; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Halifax 692; Place - Lyou, France; Date - 23 June 1944

MILLS, Robert Neil - (Pilot Officer); Service Number - 417883; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Halifax MZ692; Place - Laon, France; Date - 23 June 1944

JOHNSTON, Eric Lyle - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 418957; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Halifax 692; Place - Laon, France; Date - 23 June 1944

Gwilliam's file is digitized.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the information. I read Gwilliams casualty file, all thanks to you for pointing it out. I was amazed to see absolutely no mention of Buchenwald, perhaps that was filed elsewhere.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 20th July 2009 at 22:45.

Thanks

Norman,

Some fragments:

Flt Lt NZ421963 Malcolm Ford CULLEN
    Born Maungaturoto 22 Dec 18
    RNZAF 21 Mar 42 to 5 Dec 45
    Embarked 'Matsonia' 2 Oct 42 for SFTS training in Canada
    Shot down 24 May 44 with 257 Sqn
    Hit by flak during an attack on a ground target in the Oisement/Ferviere area, France
    PoW No.8047
    Safe UK 26 May 45

Errol

Thanks

Thank you Errol,

Can you suggest a book to read which covers Phil Lamasons service, particularly his imprisonment at Buchenwald? Thank you.

Norman

Thanks

Norman, no problem as I am just researching Iżycki. As a twist of fate, he was killed in an air crash almost exactly 15 years since being downed in France, and by almost exactly I mean hours! Do you know, where I can find more information on his whereabouts while PoW? Perhaps a report? I have heard that there was a separate facility for PoWs at Sachsenhausen, and that Iżycki was lucky to be transferred there at some point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    Thank you Errol,

Can you suggest a book to read which covers Phil Lamasons service, particularly his imprisonment at Buchenwald? Thank you.

Norman
    Norman,

Possibly Clutton-Brock's 'Footsteps in the Sands of Time', but I've not got access to a copy at present and therefore cannot check to confirm.

Errolo

Thanks

Norman

Have you read "Destination:Buchenwald" by Colin Burgess, Kangaroo Press Pty Ltd, 1995 which covers the story quite well. Malcolm Cullen was my uncle's brother.