Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo of No 19 OTU pilots May 1941

Thanks

Default Photo of No 19 OTU pilots May 1941

I have recently obtained a good clear photograph of 32 pilots assembled outside a hangar. at 19 OTU. All pilots are identified with surnames only. A mixture of Officers and SNCOs. At the top of the photo is:- “No 21 Course-Pilots - Commencing 11/5/1941” Does anyone recognise a name? If you would like a copy please e-mail me.
    Norman

ABECASSIS, George Edgar, became Squadron Leader with 161 Squadron flying Sterlings. He was shot down on 7/10/1944 from Tempsford on operation Tablejam. Became PoW in Stalag Luft III.
    ANSON
    CARDEN
    COOPER
    FOILIOT-FOSTER, F
    FINDON
    FLOCKHART, C.B. Sgt, Later Wg Cdr). 2nd Pilot on Halifax Mk I, Serial No. 9516 MP, shot down 5 Aug 1941. Baled out over Glabeek, Belgium (40km E Brussels), captured, sent to Stalag Luft 1, moved to Stalag Luft VI in Summer of 1943. Escaped 18 Feb 1944, returned to UK via Sweden. Awarded DCM 26 February 1946 at Buckingham Palace by King George VI. Died 15 March 1988.
    FORD-HUTCHINSON, Roger Francis Stuart, Sgt, died 24/7/1941 with 76 Squadron flying Halifaxes
    GASKELL
    GRIGG
    GUICK could be Gruer?
    IVESON, Douglas 'Hank', born 1917, service number 86384, flew every type of heavy bomber during the war. Post war, flew the three types of 'V' bombers, Became Group Captain OC Waddington during the Avro Vulcan days. Died 1994
    JONES, L.
    KNIGHTS
    MARTIN, could be Hamilton-Martin
    MERCER
    MODELAND
    MORGAN
    MURRAY
    O’BRIEN
    PERKS
    POOLES
    PUTTICK, Wilfred, died 26/7/1941 with 10 Squadron flying Whitleys.
    REYNOLDS, John Alfred, died 8/9/1941 with 51 Squadron flying Whitleys
    ROWE
    ROWLEY-BLAKE, Douglas, Sgt, died 8/11/1941 with 58 Squadron flying Whitleys. His aircraft was lost at sea while returning from a bombing raid on Berlin. Attended High Storrs Grammar School, 1932-1937
    STUART
    SUTSCOOPER OR S.U.T.S. COOPER
    WHITE
    WHYTE
    WILLIAMS, if Williams NL came from No.2 SFTS
    WOOD
    Last edited by namrondooh; 12th August 2009 at 20:25. Reason: updating the list with info from Tony

Thanks

What a shame they don't have initials! A quicksearch of CWGC throws up a couple of likely folk though:

Sgt (Pilot) Douglas Rowley-Blake, died 8/11/1941 with 58 Squadron who if i am not mistaken were flying Whitley's.
    Sgt Roger Francis Stuart Ford-Hutchinson died 24/7/1941 with 76 Squadron on Halifax's.

I wonder if 19 OTU ORB has any course details? You might get lucky, you never know!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Thank you Tom, I've updated the list
    Norman

Thanks

Norman,

At this time, l would suspect that:-

ABEGASSIS is George Edgar Abecassis who eventually became Squadron Leader with 161 Squadron flying Stirlings. He was shot down on 7th October 1944 from Tempsford on operation Tablejam. He became a POW in SL3. A 2 SFTS candidate, l have the rest of his details and have been in contact with his son.

PUTTIOK is Wilfred Puttick, died 26th July 1941 whilst with 10 Squadron on Whitleys.

REYNOLDS is John Alfred Reynolds, died 8th september 1941 whilst with 51 Squadron on Whitleys.

Is GUICK actually Gruer?

Is D Iveson the one previously mentioned in your other thread?

MARTIN could be Hamilton-Martin, he does not seem to have used his full name but also appears as Hamilton at times.

WILLIAMS, was also with 2SFTS but l have no details as yet but beleive that this could be N L Williams.

I have quite a lot on No. 56 Course at 2SFTS as my Father was also on this course, which finished on 31st March 1941 so would fit in nicely with this OTU.

I would be please to receive a copy of the photo if OK.

Regards,

Nick
    Last edited by NickFenton; 22nd July 2009 at 07:53.

Thanks

Hello Nick,

Thank you. The names on the photograph have been hand written and some letters were a calculated guess. D.Iveson is the same as Hank Iveson on another thread. I wanted to avoid adding any nick-names etc to the names than was shown. I have now researched his full service career. I will send you a copy of the photograph shortly. Meanwhile, a colleague is kindly improving the photograph for me and when that comes in I shall also send you a copy. Do you know what the course consisted of and for how long duration? Thank you for the information you have supplied. I will now ammend the list

Norman

Thanks

19 OTU would have run for these guys from April until about June 1941 and was preperation for full operational duties, but they would have carried out cross country training and in most cases a few operational sorties, usually dropping leaflets, mines and the like.

2SFTS on the other hand was flight training school. I have the full listing of part of the course these guys went through, together with a fair idea as to what happened to them. Not a nice story really, of the 37 students, 21 were killed in action, 5 became POW's, 3 survived unscathed through the war and l have yet to find out what happened to the other 8 but it appears they survived.

70% were shot down, one of them died at the age of 17 (having lied about his age and trained to fly at 16) in charge of a Whitley bomber with a crew of 5. In two separate occurrences’, 2 members of 56 Course died on the same operation, and in one of these, on the same plane.

I can provide further details if requested.

I will respond on D Iveson on the other thread.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Norman,

If you fancy it, I am sure the web master at this site would appreciate a copy of the pic:

http://home.clara.net/griffon/19/welcome.htm

ATB

Jon

Thanks

Norman, I have uploaded a copy of the photo to photobucket so our forum mates can have a look.

http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/dfuller52/?action=view&current=21OTU-1941.jpg
    Last edited by dfuller52; 22nd July 2009 at 19:44. Reason: fixed url for photo
    David

Thanks

Thank you Dave, I must confess I am a bit clack handed at that.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 24th July 2009 at 08:40.

Thanks

Jon,

Thank you for the suggestion, a copy is now on its way to the 19 OTU Webmaster.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 22nd July 2009 at 20:28.