Thread: Thoughts wanted on airgunner

Thanks

Default Thoughts wanted on airgunner

Hi,
    Need some thoughts on subject of an airgunner who joins a squadron mid October 41, spends rest of Oct and most of November on training flights, flies on 2 ops, 25th and 30th November 41, then lost on 10th April 42 to Essen. The 3 ops all seem to be as a stand-in rear gunner, but what could he have been doing otherwise, so as not to appear on any other ops with a regular crew?
    tia.......Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan
    A bit of speculation in the absence of accurate knowledge, but the fact that he did training might suggest that the OCU-HCU sequence which brought crews together was not fully established and he needed to complete training ,to Sqn satisfaction, and had by-passed the process of crew formation,bearing in mind it was Oct '41.The gaps could be explained by illnes or injury. To use myself as an example, I was a small child at the outbreak of war and in 1944 contracted Scarlet Fever which was dealt with at the time by a month in an Isolation Ward at a hospital,it wouldn't be done now but long term treatment of illness was common at the time and the possibilities include Diphtheria, Typhus, TB,Pneumonia and the like, which were serious but not always fatal. Then there is the possibility of something as mundane as a sports injury. Less kindly, perhaps he was not considered up to standard at operational level or even that he had misbehaved on a previous unit and was transferred as an individual and not part of a crew. The use he might have been put to if not flying could have involved the Runway caravan which was commonly manned by Aircrew.
    I'm sure my suggestions are far from the full possibilities
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 23rd July 2009 at 17:25.

Thanks

Hi Dick,
    Thanks for the reply, there were a couple of named personnell that are recorded in the ORB as returning from isolation in hospital, so you may be right on that point. Might have to try getting his service file to see if that throws light on the matter.
    Regards.......Alan.