Thread: 20/21 Dec 1943 - Were they after Goering that night?

Thanks

Default 20/21 Dec 1943 - Were they after Goering that night?

I have another fascinating MRES report, this one regarding the crash of Halifax V LK644 on 20-21 Dec 1943 near the town of Weilmunster, Germany:

"At Weilmunster there is a railway tunnel in which Goering and other high ranking Nazis used to have a special train a staff train of some kind where they used to live and work on occasions. Apparently the RAF made several attempts to catch this train as it entered or came out, and it may be that the crashed plane had been bombing the railway at that point. The Burgermeister is not sure whether this plane was actually attacking Weilmunster or not."

Can anyone tell me if the RAF actually targeted Goering's train at any time?

This particular raid is listed as on Frankfurt but it is interesting that the locals thought they might have been trying for Goering again. The squadrons involved were 408, 426, and 432 (Lancasters) and 419, 427, 428, 429, 431, and 434 (Halifaxes).
    David

Thanks

Given Bomber Command's history of accuracy (well known to the British at the time) I find it unlikely that "regular" squadrons would have been used on a target as small as a single train.