Thread: Squadron Leader John Alexander Blair MBE

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader John Alexander Blair MBE

Hi Chaps,

I am currently researching Acting Squadron Leader John Alexander Blair
    (143987), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. He was of General Duties Branch and awarded an MBE in 29.12.09 on the new year honours. Any info which anyone has would be great. His medal entitlement was the MBE 1939-45 Star, Air Crew Europe with France and Germany Bar, Italy Star, Defence and War Medal. He was from Flight Sergeant in May 1943 No 919137.

Would love to know squadron or further details of service.

Thanks

Richie

Thanks

Richie, Hi,
    Nobody else seems to want to play with you!!!
    IF - (?!!) - yr guy is 143987 John Alexander Blair then it seems likely that he Enlisted (919137) at Uxbridge in Sep 1939. Commissioned Plt Off GD (143987) 9 Feb 43. Promoted Fg Off 9 Aug 43. Promoted Flt Lt 9 Feb 45. MBE (as A/Sqn Ldr) 1 Jan 45. Retired as a Flt Lt (i.e relinquished his A/Sqn Ldr) 6 Jun 56. You can get the details on the London Gazette website.
    If it is the same guy then it is possible that he died in Q2 1991 in Coventry. If so, then by obtaining his Death Cert you can find who Registered the Death. This is often (a) a hospital, or hospice, (b) a son (therefore the same name!), or (c) a daughter (often married and, therefore, of a different surname.). Any may know where the deceased's papers may be. Some y'win; some y'lose. Good luck
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter, thankyou so much for the information. I am indeed delighted with it, I have tracked down his marriage cert now and the mbe recommendation should help me a little more. I am hoping it is more than flying a desk...but with him being a member of General Duties one would expect him to have been on Ops.

Once again thankyou

Rich