Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No. 32 Wing, RAF Whitely Bay 1944

Thanks

Default No. 32 Wing, RAF Whitely Bay 1944

Could someone tell me what the function was of No.32 Wing, RAF Whitely Bay, Northumberland in 1944. I am trying to trace a Australian WAAF who served there. Thank you.

Norman

Thanks

I attended Whitely Bay( spelling ?) in 1944 to do a toughening up course for aircrew. I was a RAAF W/AG but I was not aware of any WAAFs at the base.

Thanks

Norman,

According to 'RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912', 32 Wing disbanded on 1 July 1943.

Errol

Thanks

Norman,

If I may digress a moment, this could lead to something - maybe, maybe not!

Jack, Could this be where you were "Toughened-Up"?

Recruit Training Pools & Recruit Centres.

No.22 Recruits Centre, Whitley Bay (Northumberland), later No.4 Reception Unit including No.2 R.A.F. Regiment School July 1941 - March 1948. (AIR 29/505)

Per: Chris Pointon - See: http://www.raf-lichfield.co.uk/GroundUnits.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st August 2009 at 08:43. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Default RAAF Navigator WO A.N. DURHAM

Thank you,

The main reason for my inquiry is gathering all available evidence to try find the whereabouts of former RAAF Lancaster navigator, A.N. DURHAM.

460142 LACW Jean DURHAM, RAF Whitely Bay, was the wife of 413305 WO A.N.Durham, 514 Squadron, shot down near Paris on 8 June 1944. His father, Mr Percival David Durham lived in Wood Street, Tenterfield, NSW, Australia.

He was helped by the resistance to evade capture and returned safely to the UK on 4 September 1944. I obtained all this information from Durhams RAAF casualty file now digitised on the Australian National Archives.

Can anyone help me trace the whereabouts of Archibald Norman DURHAM or any of his family? His parents came from Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia. Thank you

Norman

Thanks

An Archibald N Durham married a Joan Henderson in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne during the third quarter of 1943.

Note her first name, same on Nominal Roll. Wedding reference is Vol. 10b pg. 117

A Donald N Durham was born in Newcastle T district in the last quarter of 1945. Mothers maiden name Henderson.

If you pay for his service record to be scanned it might indicate if and when they returned to Australia.

There is just very little Australia information on Ancestry.com.

www.whitepages.com.au
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Jack Errol and Col, Thank you for your help, I now have a clearer understanding what the unit was.
    Norman

Thank you Dennis for the wizzard leads. I've been stumped for ages. I must admit, with her service number resembling Australian numbers I assumed she was a Ozzie WAAF, though it would have been unusual.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 1st August 2009 at 11:19.

Thanks

Norman
    I expect you have tried this but Australian White Pages. www.whitepages.com.au
    residential has a Durham in Tenterfield NSW

Might be a relative as it's the only Durham listed in Tenterfield ?

Anne

Thanks

Norman,
    Probably of no relevance to your present inquiries, but the WAAF in Australia was officially titled as the Women's Australian Auxiliary Air Force, or WAAAF for short (and I hope that I have the three words in that title in their correct sequence!) I am not certain of the convention in Canada, but in New Zealand the women's service had exactly the same official title as the the original service (on which it was largely modeled) in the United Kingdom.
    David D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aestorm View Post
    Norman
    I expect you have tried this but Australian White Pages. www.whitepages.com.au
    residential has a Durham in Tenterfield NSW

Might be a relative as it's the only Durham listed in Tenterfield ?

Anne
    Norman, my pilot F/Lt Jack Hamilton lives in Tenterfield and went to school with the father of Peter Allen ( Tenterfield Saddler Song ). It is a small town in NSW and if you Google " Tenterfield Shire Council" you will obtain email addresses to help you in your enquiries.